Are these safe weeds for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
Can either of the following weeds be fed to rabbits? Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

bindweed (1).jpg
Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)

Often confused with morning glory,
the field bindweed flower is very similar.
Field bindweed is a low growing, deep-rooted perennial plant that reproduces by seed or underground rootstalks. Field bindweed is an extremely persistent plant though not very competitive if desirable vegetation can be established. Field bindweed seeds can remain viable in the soil for 50+ years.

Field bindweed
The most effective herbicides for control of field bindweed are Tordon, Arsenal, Plateau, Paramount, dicamba, and 2,4-D.

For insect biocontrol, a gall mite Aceria malherbae, and to a lesser extent a defoliating moth, Tyta luctuosa are becoming well established in Colorado and having a significant effect on field bindweed infestations. The result of the insect feeding is a much less competitive stand of field bindweed with plants displaying curled leaves and reduced stolon growth.

Shallow tillage (disk, sweep) can be counter-productive, creating a denser, more uniform stand of field bindweed. Deeper tillage, if feasible, such as moldboard plowing can provide 1-2 years control.

1.jpg
Common Mallow (Malva neglecta)

Description
General: spreading annual, rarely biennial, mostly 20-60 cm tall, with short, somewhat stiff hairs.

Leaves: alternate, the stalks several times the length of the blades, the blades heart- to kidney-shaped, about 1.5-4
cm long, blunt- to sharp-toothed, very inconspicuously 5 to sometimes 7-lobed. The 2 stipules at bases lanceolate,
0.5-1 cm long.

Flowers: pale pink to nearly white, in clusters of 1 to 3 from leaf axils, on stalks about 1 cm long. Calyx about 6-8
mm long, the 5 lobes triangular, pointed, about half as long. The 3 bracteoles at the base narrowly lance-shaped. The 5 petals obovate, about 10 mm long, notched at the tips. Stamens numerous, joined to a tube at the base, freed higher up singly or in pairs. Style branches 10-15, with stigmas most of their length, not terminally enlarged.
Flowering time: May-September.

I've heard the bindweeds are toxic and I've heard they are safe. I don't feed them... but I don't freak out if a bit gets in with the other greens.

The mallows are all safe... excellent bunny food. If they are in the garden, I pull them and feed the whole plant, root and all.

Latest posts

Back