Are there plants rabbits find offensive?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkflower

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but I am building a rabbit colony this spring and right now I am in the process of picking what decorative flowering plants I can grow both inside and outside the colony fence. I've read rabbits don't like to eat gaillardia, so I was considering planting some gaillardia inside the colony and decorative salvias, gazinnias, and buddleia outside of it. My concern is offending the rabbits by planting something they don't like to be around. Like the smell of the salvia plants may be too strong or they don't like being around gaillardia all the time?
Thanks for sharing any knowledge and advice!

Last edited:
Hmm, I know my rabbits don't like things that are extremely fragrant. The cottontails around here don't touch my pot mums. Not sure if those are toxic or not-- I haven't offered any of my rabbits the chance to eat them. I'd just make sure that whatever you do plant is not harmful to them. Sometimes, they'll still try nibbling things that can poison them.

if you want to protect some plants within a colony you'd have to protect those plants (a wire coil around them will do the trick). even if you want to put edible bushes/perennials within you'd need to protect them occasionally so the rabbits won't nibble them down too far. The reason bushes etc survive wild rabbits is that they aren't confined within a rabbit heavy area. Wild rabbits move around frequently.

if you want to protect some plants within a colony you'd have to protect those plants (a wire coil around them will do the trick). even if you want to put edible bushes/perennials within you'd need to protect them occasionally so the rabbits won't nibble them down too far. The reason bushes etc survive wild rabbits is that they aren't confined within a rabbit heavy area. Wild rabbits move around frequently.
Thank you for the info!

Plant a couple of roses and pinch the tips so they get bushy. Rabbits love rose stems and leaves. They like the flowers and don't seem bothered by the smell, which humans also enjoy.
I didn't know they liked to eat roses! Thanks!

Hmm, I know my rabbits don't like things that are extremely fragrant. The cottontails around here don't touch my pot mums. Not sure if those are toxic or not-- I haven't offered any of my rabbits the chance to eat them. I'd just make sure that whatever you do plant is not harmful to them. Sometimes, they'll still try nibbling things that can poison them.
Mums are toxic. Thanks for the info!

Back