Apples?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apples are safe to feed to rabbits,
but everything in moderation.
As for the Apple seeds, the rabbit would have to eat
a basket full of seeds to create a major problem.
I would not worry about a few apple seeds.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Apples are fine for rabbits and although the seeds are toxic, I agree with Ottersatin that they are no threat. I often feed my rabbits the little windfalls from the old apple tree in the back yard in summer and occasionally give them a piece of apple for a treat in winter. But they are sweet and so should be fed in moderation, to brighten their day and give them a bit of variety. :)

ottersatin":zi791cuq said:
Apples are safe to feed to rabbits,
but everything in moderation.
As for the Apple seeds, the rabbit would have to eat
a basket full of seeds to create a major problem.
I would not worry about a few apple seeds.

thanks for the info ottersatin thats nice to know...
CC

the pectin can be good to feed a rabbit with loose stools who won't eat, just not too much, as the sugar can cause loose stools too.

my guys LOVE deadfall apples - I just fed them the last of them mid december ... I hate January up here - so little fresh for them to enjoy :)

Pongo":e0i21s5t said:
I hate January up here - so little fresh for them to enjoy :)

...unless you're willing to fork over like $20/pound for what little produce you can find, and even then there's no telling where in the world it came from sometimes. :p

I've tried to give him a carrot, and a small piece of apple, and he won't eat either one. He just sniffs it, then hops off...

rabbits are funny - if they haven't tried something before they take AGES to trust it again
Puff hadn't had hay I'm quite sure til he arrived here - a full 15 months later he'll try it if he's HUNGRY but he doesn't like it much at all

The cyanide in the apple seeds is poisonous, but if swallowed whole, the seed has a heavy protective coating on it.

It takes about a cupful of ground seeds to poison/kill a human.(something I had to research back in my days at the University) A few apple seeds won't kill your rabbit. apples are, as Maggie said, high in sugar, so they're treats only.

I usually offer a new fruit/veggie/treat, and if they don't immediately take it, I just leave it in their food dish. Later it will be gone. Although some rabbits REALLY don't get the whole "treat" thing ;)

I can promise each and every one of you one thing about my current herd.

There is absolutely nothing I've fed so far that this guy won't have cleaned up by morning:

Anytime he doesn't eat, you can guarantee yourself that something is rotten in Denmark where he's concerned.

Attachments

• Super Sid.JPG
    Super Sid.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 2,853
Hey SatinsRule,
Billy that is a REALLY nice looking Red Satin.
When you get tired of him just toss him over to me! :up:

Billy, that's an excellent picture of a very good looking rabbit! It's hard to get a shot showing the body AND the sheen of a satin without overblowing the color. Satin's have such pretty color to them. Very pretty.

Miss M - there are a lot of folks I know who eat the seeds. The cyanide in each pip is tiny. Peach pits tho....NOT good to eat(apparently taste pretty bad, too)

Latest posts

Back