Anything to plant for winter for the rabbits to eat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninabl

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a colony for 2 does and a buck. First question is what should implant for them to eat in there? And is there anything I can grow in the winter? We're in Georgia so it dosnt get to cold and if it does show it only last a few days. Currently it is in the 60s during the day and mid to low 30s at night. Also how big of a pen should I build for the 3 rabbits? I plan to still use some pellet feed but don't want to depend on it. I would like them to "live off the land" as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

I live near Toccoa ga. Have you thought about coldframe or tunnel winter gardening? The plants grow better in winter under plastic here. All plants listed above do well in tunnels and cold frames where out on open ground they tend to slow down or stop growing in winter. Plants started in late summer will grow most of the winter with a big burst of growth in spring plus their will probably be plenty for the table too! Also add dandelion to your list. Very healthy green for rabbits, goats and chickens. Us too but its bitter! The rabbits love both flowers and leaves and is particularly beneficial after kindling or if a rabbit is off its feed. If you want to learn more just pull up winter and/or tunnel gardening.

Also you can also grow wheat grass. Very easy to grow. In the spring, it grows in big patches in the bunny run, but during the winter I grow it in the grow room. Very, very good for a rabbits immune system. Also does stimulate a rabbit to eat.

Clover is good as well. Looking to start growing that all year round too.

With Kale, which I do grow here, my rabbits only get small tastes. Too much can cause gas.

Karen

There is a thread under natural feeding you can look at. It is very helpful. YES, Brassica and Kale can cause gas. You have to slowly get them used to it so their digestive track can handle it. We have only had our rabbits for a short time and are transitioning them to forage. We have found ours love turnips and radishes. Carrot tops are a huge treat for them. Tons of weeds. TONS. We are working on no pellets but small about of grains and the rest in yard forage or garden items. We have found it to take about 10 cups of greenery a day plus a half ration of pellets for our Silver Fox rabbits.
There are some really great natural feeding people on here who will help you out.

Oats don't mind cold weather and you can feed them anytime till they mature in late spring. Barley is good if you feed it as grass but don't let the heads form big or you may have trouble with those raspy beards. Radishes and turnips are great food and they can take cold weather fine.
I start feeding the cole crops slowly but once their systems are used to it they can have quite a bit. It's been rainy here so it's hard to gather greens but I cut some huge kale and collard leaves and fed them with it this morning.
My rabbits don't have a bit of trouble with it no matter how much I feed but they are all on a greens and grains diet. I only use pellets when I can't get enough greens. You can't beat free food. Now that the rains have started I should be able to gather wild burr clover soon. They eat it burrs and all.

We are in central NC and are feeding a mix of crimson clover and abruzzi rye that we planted in the fall. Your extension agent should be able to tell you the planting dates in Ga. I think that you could plant forage rape (a brassica) now also. It's a lot like collards or kale. We've been feeding it to our Am. Chinch. rabbits, but usually mixed with grass and clover. As soon as it warms up a little, you could plant millet and do succesion plantings all summer. Our rabbits love sweet potato greens too. As the leaves spread out, we just keep them trimmed and feed the leaves and stems to the rabbits. We also use the leaves in salads and stir fries. The rabbits like the sweet potatoes too (which we feed in limited amounts).

Something from your State. Georgia Collards, outside of your colony of course. I plant hundreds of hills each year and I just break leaves off the plants as they grow. My rabbits Love them more than anything. There are alot of plants you can grow in your garden for them. If I was going to do a outdoor dirt colony I would do it like I do for my chickens. I would have a couple sections I could grow winter rye in and keep them out of these sections until the plant gets going good.

definitely use a colony system that keeps plant roots in the soil surface-- don't let the rabbits turn the area into a dust bowl. So, subdivide the colony area, and manage it like an intensive grazing program. Raised garden beds, covered in wire to prevent grazing to the soil level is an idea, as well.

In your area, you can have all manner of plants at some stage of growth year round. This is a GOOD thing for you!!!

Back