Anyone make there own hay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Milwaukee hedge clipper attachment that attaches to my weedwacker wow I wish I just bought this is the first place even just getting under fruit trees I can reach with the lawnmower. I cut grass 4' wide x 200 ft long and didn't even go down a bar on my battery where as I would've had to change it using the weed eater. Thank-you so much for the idea @JOhn B

I have a DR trimmer/mower that uses trimming "string". I got the base model but you can get them self-propelled, too, and I'm not sure but I would imagine other companies make them more affordably. It leaves long strands of grasses. I'm going to look into the Stihl scythe, though. I was surprised to find that our pull-behind mower (also a DR) leaves intact strands of grasses as well. It does use blades but it's not a mulching mower.

I have a lot of grass on my property that grows pretty tall, and people come to cut it and make hay bales out of it. I collect the left over grass and use it

Often people making hay from your grass will be willing to return to you a certain percentage of the hay they get from your place--like maybe one bale in ten, but that would depend on whatever is customary where you live. You have to ask, though. IME, they don't simply offer. This cutting generally only happens around here if hay is scarce because of drought, etc. Otherwise, you're on your own to deal with the tall grass.

Often people making hay from your grass will be willing to return to you a certain percentage of the hay they get from your place--like maybe one bale in ten, but that would depend on whatever is customary where you live. You have to ask, though. IME, they don't simply offer. This cutting generally only happens around here if hay is scarce because of drought, etc. Otherwise, you're on your own to deal with the tall grass.
One in ten is not a good bargain but depends on what and who is managing the land. Hay leases should require fertilization and field maintenance, as well compensation that compensation could be money or hay. In your situation you are selling a commodity.
suggest you read up on hay leasing from your local extension office.

There is a big difference between making cheap hay for horses and good hay for rabbits! I am making small quantities as I find good quality grass but have a question about storage. I often see a curing period mentioned but once it is dry, what more is to be done other than keeping it dry? I dry it in circulating air in the dark. The first batch was to equilibrium humidity of 45% which according to a chart for alfalfa should be about 12% moisture and had good smell and handling properties, the second batch was dried to 37% rh which would be about 11% moisture but was significantly more brittle. In either case, it would have to be sealed to maintain that moisture level but that goes against the idea of letting hay breathe to cure. Any comments or advice? My rabbit Journey gave both batches a rating of excellent without any curing time.

Back