Anyone Have Kit Get Paw Stuck & Strangled?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
I wasn't sure how to title this post. I had a kit that got his paw tangled up in the hay at about 5 days old. When I found him, his paw was swollen up like a balloon animal. I cut the hay off, and he has survived - he is now 17 days old. Seems to be healthy and moves fine but his paw is tiny and leathery. It did not cause gangrene or sepsis as far as I can tell.

IMG_20220623_155004380.jpg
(The photo is from last Thursday)

So, any ideas on the prognosis? Obviously, it's not going to grow, but is it going to kill him? Have you ever had anything like this? Just curious.

Thank for any advice/experience you can share.

- Liz

I wasn't sure how to title this post. I had a kit that got his paw tangled up in the hay at about 5 days old. When I found him, his paw was swollen up like a balloon animal. I cut the hay off, and he has survived - he is now 17 days old. Seems to be healthy and moves fine but his paw is tiny and leathery. It did not cause gangrene or sepsis as far as I can tell.

View attachment 30263
(The photo is from last Thursday)

So, any ideas on the prognosis? Obviously, it's not going to grow, but is it going to kill him? Have you ever had anything like this? Just curious.

Thank for any advice/experience you can share.

- Liz
My suspicion is the end of that foot is dead due to lack of blood circulation. But I would say if it hasn’t killed it yet it should be fine. It should just be gimpy but healthy.

My suspicion is the end of that foot is dead due to lack of blood circulation. But I would say if it hasn’t killed it yet it should be fine. It should just be gimpy but healthy.
That's my thought. But I'm wondering at what point can I stop worrying about gangrene, sepsis, etc. ?

Latest posts

Back