Anyone feed straight hays?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Does anyone feed straight mixed hay and fresh greens? I know it will slow growth a ton, so would it be possible for bucks to only eat hay, does only get hay with some kind of feeder where only the kits get pellets?
Grains are $20+ per bag and last time I tried to give them grains, they tossed them all away to the birds. Rather not try that waste again.
I can put up the mineral blocks, do that for the horses and sheep already.
I think the hardest thing will be getting the rabbits to EAT the hay and not waste it...
Maybe if I cut the hay into 2-4in lengths I can layer it neatly in a Jfeeder or put it in a pan. Or just feed the cubes.

So, does anyone only feed hay and fresh greens? No pellets, no grain?

I do not!
I feed the Rabbits a Pelleted Rabbit feed with grass-hay fed
at least three times per week, in limited quantities fed in a Hay-rack.
This reduces hay waste. Every Doe is supplied with enough hay to fill their nestbox.
Also given added hay daily to refurbish their nest as needed.
I don't believe you can supply the correct amount of necessary grains, vitamins or minerals
without the use of a properly balanced prepared pelleted Rabbit feed.
We all must do what we feel is best for the members of our Herd/Charges.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

They finished all the year old cubes, they recently started loving them, rabbits.
Bought a new bag of Alfalfa/Timothy mix cubes. Will be feeding them instead of the loose hay, far too much is wasted. Cubes are more pricey, but far less is wasted, only about a half inch by one centimeter piece is lost per cube. If they are dry, I put them in the Jfeeder for another try.
Trying to see if seeds will sprout in my house and found a source of cheap oats. So will try sprouting them, too. If they aren't sprout-able, will feed them in the Jfeeder, they are already marked to feed the birds, pigs, sheep and horses.
Cut pellets to a little less than a cup, need to find a real measuring cup I can mark for just rabbit use.
They also are getting sycamore branches, leaves and mulberry branches. It's all being cleared up.
=)

When I was first switching to natural feeding, I tried the hay and greens mixture, but I found that the rabbits never seemed satisfied. It may have been the kind of hay I had. I didn't find good alfalfa hay until later but they were getting fresh alfalfa in their mixed greens. Once I added just a little grain, things went better.

My New Zealand buck is on straight hay and a mineral block. He is 11 pounds and overweight, I started cutting back his pellets from 6 oz a day but he still was not loosing weight, in December I cut pellets out completely and he is only getting Timothy horse hay and has finally stated loosing and once he gets a bit lean I will start giving him an ounce or so of pellets.

Some rabbits can survive on less, Zab mentioned that her Swedish breeds were developed to survive on rougher fare so it depends on the rabbit. A similar effect is seen in horses- hard keepers need grain and rain sheets or a compfy stall but easy keepers like my miniature pony and Iberian warmblood get fat just looking at grass and keeping them a healthy weight can be a challenge.

My guinea pigs lived on weeds/grasses with a handful of pellets for all 6, they were fat and happy.
My horse is an easy keeper, pony is a very easy keeper.
Sheep are also living on nothing but pasture.
So I was hoping the rabbits could step up and eat nearly for free.
I know when they are on pasture, I hardly need to give them any pellets, the mice ate more of it than the rabbits ever bothered to get around to.<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm __________<br /><br />Wow, what did you guys do to my rabbits?!
They are all eating the oats and the cubes, it's great!

Latest posts

Back