Anybody experience this

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjgrappler

Reaction score
I have two does that are scratching their feed out of their feeders when eating. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm losing money while feeding these does. I looked this morning and there is a ton of it on the ground. :evil:

A lot of rabbits do that. My only suggestion is get a hopper feeder and put it high enough that they can't reach in to scratch, or find a wide-lip crock (you'll know one when you see it) to feed them in.

Yup, two of mine do that trying to get to the goodies in the food. I agree with raising the height of the feeder. Then I add a really heavy crock when there are kits in the hutch.

Sounds good I raised it up pretty good amount and I will have to put some crocks in because they just had litters, so the babies have to eat then.

If the feed has various kinds of kibbles in it, they may be digging to find their favorites. Switching to a uniform feed might solve this.

On the other hand, are you sure it is being scratched out? One of my does was filling her mouth with food, and then biting at the edge of the feeder, dropping the pellets. She, too, ended up with mounds of food under her cage. At others' suggestion, I started giving her a consistent hay ration, rather than now and then. The problem stopped cold.

A pellet feed and a separate dish for treats REALLY HELPS
as does raising the feeder, I installed all my J feeder at 4 inches instead of my first set up of 2.

AND if these don't work, take some scrap 1x2 wire and bend it kinda Z like to sit inside of the feeder, or if it's a dish cut it to stand up, anyways, make sure you have one cross bar, it will keep the rabbit from scrabbling, BUT you will have to tap the feeder to make sure the food is moving down, as it will get to a level the rabbit can't reach.

I feed a grain mix so I thougt that may be the case with the scratching. It is scratching I witnessed it multiple times. I raised the j-feeder and it seems to have remedied the problem

It could be they're bored or they just don't like the pellets. I use to have huge problems when I was feeding Purina, my rabbits just didn't like it so they dug it out of their feeders.

Do they have a hay rack that is always full of hay? You can make one with scrap cage wire. But I'm sure you know that. :)

Latest posts

Back