any suggestions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two does that are in the 5.5 to 6 months old.. And do you think I can breed them. Nooooo... One doe she will stand straight up in the corner of the cage.. and the other doe will not lift and keeps on running in the cage.. I catch her and stop her from doing this and she just lies there.. I cant seem to get them to breed. Nothing is working to be interested in the buck.. any suggestion ... If this keeps up.. they are going in the freezer

Wait.

I've tried pretty much everything everyone suggested, and still have not got my does to breed before 8 mos, and some still a little afterwards. As long as they have a litter by a year old I am happy. The early breeding thing just hasn't worked for me, I just don't have lines that mature like that.

Angoras are slow growers, they may simply just aren't ready yet.

The best mother in my herd wasn't bred until she was a year old, and she had a litter of nine. Three were stillborn, but the six left were the happiest kits ever. She was bred again three months later and had another litter of nine that all survived and thrived.

I just bred another doe for the first time, and she is 8 months old and just starting to show signs of wanting to be bred. She'll kindle in a couple of weeks and well see how it goes.

Don't stick them in the freezer yet. Keep in mind that angoras are large, slow growing rabbits. Also, all their protein intake has to be balanced between producing a nice, meat type body (at least in the breeds we have) and all that lovely wool. It takes a lot. Their bodies probably just aren't simply mature enough to handle kits yet.

Latest posts

Back