ants.. ugh

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Friggen gross.. saw ants and ants carrying those larvae maggot ant things into my rabbit hutch.

I sprayed the legs with bug spray. Anything else I can do? Thought about food grade DE around the legs but if it gets windy, would I need to worry about it going in their eyes or lungs?

Baking soda & powdered sugar hmmm..never tried that one. I'll definitely make some up and see how it goes ty!

I tried borax and powdered sugar.. borax and honey.. and the ants never touched the stuff.

Thank you Maggie. :)

Yep exploding baking soda ants. Not all ants will eat honey but most will find sugar too convenient to pass by even if they don't normally go looking for sweets.

I need an Ant pesticide that won't harm rabbits or vegetables. Our Entyre Farm is infested, lots of huge nests, deep in the ground. This week I found them in the wood chips in our rabbit runs. This war ain't gonna be won with baking soda or traps.

Anyone use an ant killer that they like around rabbits?

MacEntyre":3cj8p7yk said:
I need an Ant pesticide that won't harm rabbits or vegetables. Our Entyre Farm is infested, lots of huge nests, deep in the ground. This week I found them in the wood chips in our rabbit runs. This war ain't gonna be won with baking soda or traps.

Anyone use an ant killer that they like around rabbits?
The only "completely nontoxic" ant bait that worked for me on fireants, was grits..
the grits swell when they get wet, after the ants eat them..

I'll mix a batch of whatever tasty thing they want to eat with boric acid and put it where the ants can eat it. That'll do them in within a few days.

For the bunny hutches, though, I've had ants kill newborns so if there's ants around and a doe is due, I'll soak a rag in used motor oil and wrap that around the hutch legs.

Back