Another WV Hello

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
Hi all!

My name's Katie. I've been lurking for some time and did post once for advice on a colony setup almost a year ago now. While I got some great and much appreciated information my plans fell apart at that time and I never did get my rabbits last summer. Well, this spring I decided the timing was never going to be quite right so I just went ahead anyway. I now have a trio of 13 week old Californians. These are my first rabbits so I know I'll have plenty of questions (already have several) so I thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself. 

My husband and I run a small dairy farm in WV (just south of Morgantown). We milk about 50 head right now. It's just us to run everything so it keeps busy 24/7. I actually grew up in town, have a M.S. in Computer Science, and was working on my doctorate when I met my husband. I ended up quitting school to work the farm with him full time. Not bad for a girl who'd never been on a tractor before. I guess you just never know what you'll end up doing for love! ;) We'll have been together 4 years in August (married for 3 in October).  I've gotten a crash course in farming and have come a long way. Although every day it remains painfully apparent just how much I still have to learn. But that's farm life for you. Or maybe just plain life. :)

We have one beautiful little girl, Samantha, who turns a year old July 16 and just found out we have another little one on the way, due January 12.

For the time or two in a month we actually find a few minutes of free time we keep a couple horses that I ride and my husband drives. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone. :)

:hi: This is a great place to learn and commiserate!! You will find lots of great people here! Congrats on the bunnies and the babies!

Hello, Katie! :hi:

What an adventure diving into full-time farming! You'll enjoy your rabbits, I think, and they are pretty easy once you get past the learning curve... and we're here to help you with that. :)

Your little Samantha and I share a birthday... Of course, there's about 60 years difference in our ages! :D

Hi all!

I’ve been gone so long I thought I’d reintroduce myself and resurrect my original intro thread to do it. Kinda fun to see how things have changed in the last 9 years...

Hubby and I passed our 11th anniversary in October. We’ve been blessed with 6 children. Sami is now 9, Chester is 8, Miriam is 5, and Anna is almost 11 months. Our other two boys, Gabriel and Noah, are safe in the arms of the Lord. We still run a dairy farm, though the structure has changed. We now sell everything exclusively off the farm. We only milk 14 cows, but I think with all the processing now involved it’s even more time consuming than when we milked 50. We sell milk and cream, and make butter, ice cream, and yogurt. I have become an expert yogurt maker and could do it in my sleep at this point lol. I make at least 10 gallons a week, often up to 20 if sales are going well (it really fluctuates a lot). For anyone curious the farm web page is http://www.colossians216farm.com.

We kept the small indoor colony of Californian rabbits I had when I was last active going for quite a while. It went fairly well, but eventually life got busy, I never could establish a market for selling the meat, and we just didn’t end up eating much rabbit ourselves really. So the rabbits went. I always hated processing them anyway, and certainly don’t miss that part.

I have missed the rabbits though. I don’t know that we’ll do any better with sales to the pet market, but we picked up a trio of Polish before Christmas. Hubby says he won’t grumble at me if we can just break even on them. I do enjoy the rabbits so I’m hoping we can do a little better than that and perhaps even do well enough to expand a bit.

We now have Peter Rabbit (broken black), Clover, and Carrot (black does).

kidsandbunnies.jpeg

i used to raise polish rabbits, They are ADORABLE. With better temperaments than Netherland dwarfs.
I hope you get some pet sales from them.

We’re all really enjoying these Polish bunnies. Kid friendly was my #1 in picking a breed. I had read very good things about Dutch rabbits, but Polish made my list also and that’s what popped up locally available. We absolutely adore Peter. Carrot also has a very nice personality. Clover is fine if you want to pet her in her cage, but she doesn’t like to be held at all and is quite bad about squirming to get away.

Overall we’re having a lot of fun on this adventure, and I’m excited to see how far we can go with it. :)

Back