Another only lonely kit, what's up with THAT???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So Asoka's sister Nya had her first litter yesterday.

ONE KIT :evil:

So that makes just TWO kits born in the last 5 months to my rex colony.

Any ideas why they are having just single kits?

They have all been on a diet so are not so fat and they get lots of exercise so they are nicely fit.

Shall be eating them all if this keeps up :twisted:

Odd... I've seen some cases where only one kit survives (for various reasons) but not where only one is born.

You could try supplementing their diet with dark, leafy greens such as dandelion or parsley for Vitamin A and BOSS or wheat germ oil for Vitamin E. Both of these vitamins are essential for willingness and success in breeding... and both are vulnerable to loss from pelleted feed because of lengthy or poor storage condition prior to sale of the feed.

MaggieJ":1pdlv29c said:
Odd... I've seen some cases where only one kit survives (for various reasons) but not where only one is born.

You could try supplementing their diet with dark, leafy greens such as dandelion or parsley for Vitamin A and BOSS or wheat germ oil for Vitamin E. Both of these vitamins are essential for willingness and success in breeding... and both are vulnerable to loss from pelleted feed because of lengthy or poor storage condition prior to sale of the feed.

Having so much trouble keeping them slim enough, wont boss and oil help them gain that weight back again?

They are down to a half cup of pellets each a day.

Up the greens eh? Good thing Spanish Needle is back with good spring growth. No dandelion but I do have a bit of sow thistle. Shall have a good look round for good green things for them.

I thought about fostering the kit but my only two with small kits are a second time mum having a few problems - yeh, two does and I managed, despite my best effort, to sell the good mother :roll: - and an older doe who is already fostering three added to her own three. Not sure if I should take her up to seven.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 pm __________<br /><br />I had to pull the kit today and give it to another doe. Its a risk but its mother had destroyed the nest and lost the kit in a corner.

Its a risk as the doe I gave it to has only ever had five kits at a time and she now has her own three, three from another doe and this one.

Fingers crossed!

Hope it works okay.

You might not want to give BOSS or wheat germ oil if your rabbits tend to gain weight... although the amounts needed are small. The greens certainly won't make them gain weight. You could squeeze a bit of Vitamin E from a capsule... a couple of drops a day should be plenty. Of course, the problem may not be a vitamin deficiency at all... If the doe has a lot of internal fat, that could certainly adversely affect conception.

You might want to foster this kit onto the other mom, breed this doe back immediately. With only one kit you can have mastitis problems too. Also on the doe nursing the two kits also breed her back at about 14d I know this seems really early but it will greatly increase your chances of getting more kits in the next litter, and since she will only have two kits nursing she should have zero problem with body condition.

WallTenter":3nxdxfco said:
You might want to foster this kit onto the other mom, breed this doe back immediately. With only one kit you can have mastitis problems too. Also on the doe nursing the two kits also breed her back at about 14d I know this seems really early but it will greatly increase your chances of getting more kits in the next litter, and since she will only have two kits nursing she should have zero problem with body condition.

She is in a colony so should have already sorted the breeding back but, as her sister hasnt had another litter yet and her last one was sold last week as an 8 weeker, I dont know whats up with my colony girls :roll:

Need to check on the kit this morning and see how its liking its foster siblings.<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 am __________<br /><br />It seems to be holding its own with its bigger foster siblings.

Latest posts

Back