Anal glands maybe TMI

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis

Reaction score
Has anyone cleaned anal glands before??Are anal glands suppose to smell? Not sure how to post a photo on here. But when I cleaned out his anal glands it was crusty and smelly.

Yes, did that with my buck at the vet since I was there anyway and to rule out that this was what caused his discomfort (it wasn't), they are really smelly. There were some crusty crumbs, and boy, yes it did smell.

Thank you for your reply! I had rabbits when I was younger and never did this :/ apparently from what I read online some rabbits clean out their ana glands themselves while you have to do it for others. I spoke to his breeder and and it’s adviced to make this a monthly thing. Also reading about anal glands - pyometra was something to look out for and it said male bunnies could get Pyometra. This was one of the reason I chose to get a boy was so I wouldn’t have to worry about this. Have you heard of male bunnies having pyometra?

I personally do it every now and then to keep smell down (mostly because my mother doesn't like it when I bring them in) and when ever I'm about to sell a rabbit just because I do a whole grooming session the day or 1/2 days before I sell them depending on my schedule for the week.

Back