American Chinchilla Cross Color Genetics Help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clare

Reaction score
TL:DR - I want to breed American Chinchilla cross meat mutts that never look like purebred American Chinchillas. I need help with color genetics to pick a buck.

I recently had the pleasure of starting a rabbit colony of American Chinchillas but I'm planning on operating it in a slightly adapted way. I bought four junior females from one litter to maximize my chances of them getting along. I introduced them to the space already but I have not yet gotten my bucks (2). The plan for the bucks is to keep them housed in hutches right next to the colony so that I can plan, control, and track breeding. So, I plan to get one purebred AmChin buck and another, different breed of buck, to breed the does to in alternating pairs, each doe to one of the bucks. My hope is that I should better be able to tell apart which kits belong to which doe (and buck) by age and color, plus, half of my kits will be purebred AmChins and the other half for meat, but that is where I need some assistance. Rabbit color genetics are a bit confusing so I figured I would ask, what do I need to look for in my second buck to result in 100% of his offspring to not look like purebred AmChins? Phenotypically and genotypically?

From what I've read, an EnEn (homozygous broken, aka "Charlie") broken New Zealand buck with CC (dominant solid color, solid carrying) genes would probably be ideal, right? The litter should be 100% broken with solid, not chinchilla, coats.... right? If that is correct, that seems like a very specific rabbit to track down so is there a breed that I could look for instead like, say, Champagne d'Argente or Silver Fox, with homozygous solid color (CC) and homozygous silvering genes (sisi)? Kinda feeling like I've overcomplicated this... or oversimplified it? Very confused, please send help. Thanks

Any homozygous CC rabbit will work. Literally any. The trouble is that all NZ have the potential to carry REW in their background and If they do then you will get some chin looking rabbits. I would just get the non chin buck and test breed him once to everyone first. if you get a single chin kit, get a new buck. An alternative would be any EnEn homozygous charlie, because you would get all brokens.

You are probably right that there is some breed out there that never ever carries anything but CC, but I think if you want to breed for meat, I would look for a really solidly built NZ or NZ cross.

TBH, I would just get Am Chin bucks, and learn to tattoo. 1-4 dots in the right ear will be more reliable than any color cross scheme. There are even punch tattoos that will be nearly as fast and easy as giving a hand stamp.

Pet Tattoo No. 300 Pliers Kit Stone Manufacturing Company - Pet | Tattoo | Identification

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I think the simplest thing for me would be to, as you suggested, get a suspected CC New Zealand buck and just test breed him to everyone in an attempt to uncover any REW genetics, if they are there. I guess I got overwhelmed by the genetics and a bit carried away, straying from the purpose of these rabbits (meat).

Initially I thought I would just rely on tattoos but my does are tattooed and it's not very helpful in the colony setting since I can't usually tell at a glance. Not to mention, I want to be able to know who is who without ever seeing them with their dam.

Back