All 3 kits REW

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOaksRabbitry

Reaction score
Does anyone want to explain a few things regarding REW's? I've been searching forums for the last few days and am still wondering... My daughter is in her third year of breeding 4H show rabbits. She prefers flashy colors and is breeding for tri's and harli's. She has had beautiful babies that have done great on the show table, but just bred her new harli doe for the first time, (to her tri buck) and all 3 kits were REW's. Since there was absolutely no variation in color in this litter, should we assume that future breeding with the same parents will produce ALL REW's again?
Also, is it common for entire litters to be REW? Or is it usually a kit or 2? (These are her first REW's)

It's just a roll of the dice for each and every kit. In order for a harli and tri to have a REW, they'd both have to have the recessive for albino. However, they're not albino themselves, so it's a recessive. I'm guessing there's about a 25% chance each time a baby is born that it will be REW, since both parents have the recessive? If a colored bun with a recessive for albino is bred to a REW, there's a 50% chance of a REW each time a baby is born. Hm, technically, I guess it's when they're engendered, not born. Anyway, it was long odds that all three babies would be REW from a pair of colored buns, but each time the dice roll came up REW. Next time they're bred, there may not be any REW at all.

Back