Alfalfa hay okay for adult rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treelove

Reaction score
I read that timothy hay is good for adult rabbits, but that young kits should receive alfalfa for higher calcium content. We bought a compressed block of it, but there is so much of it. I've been giving it to the adult rabbits as well because I don't have space to keep two kinds of hay. Wishing I'd gotten a mixed hay. Anyway, is it going to be okay to feed this to all the rabbits until it's gone?

Should be fine as long as they aren't gaining too much weight which will affect breeding them. Also they don't need that much calcium so you will see it in their urine. It could potentially build up in the rabbit and clog things, but if your just trying to finish the hay up, you should be fine.

What she said! If you want to feed hay and have room for just one type, get grass hay rather than alfalfa. If it were me, I'd go easy on the hay for the adults while the alfalfa lasts just to be on the safe side especially if your pellets list alfalfa as the first or second ingredient.

Back