Agouti?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
I just got a new doe today and on her pedigree it lists two ancestors as "agouti". I'm guessing this is black-based, but can someone help me out with what exactally this is/looks like?

SarahMelisse":1b905b6o said:
Makes sense now as to why it's just called "agouti".

In Rex it is called castor, but some breeds call it chestnut, and I think there are other names for it as well.

In FA's there is a color called "chestnut" but in the ARBA color guide I didn't see anything listed as just "agouti". I guess that's where I got confused.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm __________<br /><br />And "chestnut" is listed right above "chocolate agouti" so it must be the same as plain agouti like you suggested.

Well on the pedigree it lists:
G.G. Sire "chocolate agouti" x G.G. Dam "agouti" resulting in a "Fawn"
and in the second instance:
G. Sire "REW" x G. Dam "agouti" resulting in REW... which tells me nothing<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm __________<br /><br />In the first pairing the G.G. Dam must be chestnut right? In order to produce a black-based color like fawn, one of the two had to carry the B

Chestnut and agouti are the same thing. Your avatar bunny is agouti. Not sure about your question though.

My avatar is a fawn in full coat.
Sorry, my question was pretty much answered. It's just so confusing to have a pedigree listed as agouti when that is not what that specific color is called in the breed. It doesn't help either that angora colors are different in a lot of areas.

I never got the color either but i know the only "agouti" showable in mini rex is castor. It just basically means that every hair(or most) on their coat have more than one color to each strand of hair so you get your rings when you blow on them. It's not just chestnut because you can like someone said get chocolate agouti's

You can show opal, lynx, and amber in rex which are blue agouti, lilac agouti, and black agouti with nonextension.

Fawn can be chocolate or black based. It is just non-extension agouti. The grand-dam could be either black OR chocolate based. What it says is both parents both carried one non extension gene each. The second instance it tells us the agouti also carried rew. Fawn most likely refers to the density of colour, it usually means dilute as opposed to red/orange. To be honest all terms like fawn and agouti should have their colour base listed in the pedigree.

Devon's Mom Lauren":2rlrs8wb said:
Fawn can be chocolate or black based. It is just non-extension agouti. The grand-dam could be either black OR chocolate based. What it says is both parents both carried one non extension gene each. The second instance it tells us the agouti also carried rew. Fawn most likely refers to the density of colour, it usually means dilute as opposed to red/orange. To be honest all terms like fawn and agouti should have their colour base listed in the pedigree.

Well, and then the other problem is that each breed has its own names for colors... especially angoras. My fawn is technically an orange. She is a black-based agouti. It's usually just called "fawn" in angoras and the diluted form with blue/grey eyes is called "cream fawn". I believe in angoras there are no chocolate-based fawns. Only black-based. A chocolate-based non-extension results in chocolate agoutis... which may be where you were going with that.

But then again, what I'm calling fawn, you may call something else.

And I totally agree on listing color base on pedigrees. It would be soooo helpful! As I figure out the color genetics of each of my rabbits through their litters, I list them on my pedigrees myself.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:44 pm __________<br /><br />Ps. In angoras we have: red, fawn, and cream

Got a holland ped with only TORT on it. I got blue torts from the pairing, so no telling what tort really means. Yeah, I'd be a bit miffed if someone just put agouti on a Rex pedigree. My agoutis carry REW, Black, Blue and Harlequin, so the kit color would not help me find out what type of agouti it was.
I like to include specific colors and what I know of the genotype on the pedigree.

skysthelimit":1bi512sj said:
Got a holland ped with only TORT on it. I got blue torts from the pairing, so no telling what tort really means. Yeah, I'd be a bit miffed if someone just put agouti on a Rex pedigree. My agoutis carry REW, Black, Blue and Harlequin, so the kit color would not help me find out what type of agouti it was.
I like to include specific colors and what I know of the genotype on the pedigree.

The breeder I got my Lion heads was very specific on her pedigrees. I have specific coloring and DM gene throughout the 4 generation pedigree. Plus she let me know what coloring I could get with this breeding pair. Very helpful indeed.

Karen

Latest posts

Back