Age of your oldest breeding does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffBrahmaBantam

Reaction score
At what age do does stop breeding? What is the oldest doe that you have bred successfully? I’d like to know from personal experience - Not based on what the internet says because the internet is so often wrong:)

We purchased a 3+ year old Rex doe because she was cheap and I am trying to figure out what is normal. So far, she has seemed uninterested in mating but maybe it is due to heat.

Last edited:
I retired Fury at 7, would have done earlier but she had other plans, she's now 10. I have to take great care to keep her away from any buck.
Red got retired at 4 or 5, but accidentially got pregnant at 7 - kit got stuck, emergency spay saved her, she's now 8.
Magda was 5 when she started to have litters of just 2 kits, died at 7, I'm pretty sure she had cancer.

Does do not stop breeding by themself because of age, they need to be stopped...
Litters get smaller with age, and DOAs become more frequent.

My current breeding does are Chantal (4) and Ruth (3).

I retired Fury at 7, would have done earlier but she had other plans, she's now 10. I have to take great care to keep her away from any buck.
Red got retired at 4 or 5, but accidentially got pregnant at 7 - kit got stuck, emergency spay saved her, she's now 8.
Magda was 5 when she started to have litters of just 2 kits, died at 7, I'm pretty sure she had cancer.

Does do not stop breeding by themself because of age, they need to be stopped...
Litters get smaller with age, and DOAs become more frequent.

My current breeding does are Chantal (4) and Ruth (3).
That is very old. What breeds do you have? Does breed matter in doe longevity, do you think?

Totally. Just don't breed full siblings!
I have heard that before and have no desire to do so. My question is, what could the consequences be with breeding siblings? It appears a lot of people do it.

I currently have a doe with a litter from her brother. All kits seem fine. I did not breed her to him! The person I got her from thought she had two does.

I have heard that before and have no desire to do so. My question is, what could the consequences be with breeding siblings? It appears a lot of people do it.

I currently have a doe with a litter from her brother. All kits seem fine. I did not breed her to him! The person I got her from thought she had two does.
I personally don't do it because of my human mind, I don't think it's a good thing to do. Lol but a lot of people will breed full siblings to "lock in" a good trait that both siblings exhibit and then outbreed from there. It seems they will carry a trait from that point on making it dominant I guess.

I've bred a Doe to her half brother/uncle (one rabbit) for a while and she had good Kits

At what age do does stop breeding? What is the oldest doe that you have bred successfully? I’d like to know from personal experience - Not based on what the internet says because the internet is so often wrong:)

We purchased a 3+ year old Rex doe because she was cheap and I am trying to figure out what is normal. So far, she has seemed uninterested in mating but maybe it is due to heat.
When I started raising meat rabbits (American Chinchillas), I researched and discovered that a good method for maintaining a healthy, productive herd is to trade out the does at 2 years old. That means, BEFORE she is having any issues. You can sell them as pets or as proven breeders that way (valuable). You can even sell them already bred -- which is usually very desirable if they aren't too far along.

I have to admit, I am not anxious to give my lovely does up so quickly! I put one up for sale and probably over priced her a little...probably hoping she won't sell! And I am still getting beautiful kits from her as I "wait for a sale".

God bless you!

I have been told it takes a few generations until the kits may start having strange genetics and 5 legs 😂 I wouldn't suggest it.

My oldest, actively breeding doe was Biscuit... five years, still producing litters of 10 every four - five months. And then she just stopped. She remained a pet until she got cancer age 7 if I recall correctly.

Back