Age and Size When Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
Hello! I know this has probably come up before, but I couldn't find any posts on it when I searched this:
Does the size or age matter when breeding two rabbits? As in, does it matter if you breed a younger doe to an older buck, or visa versa? Can the doe be smaller than the buck, or visa versa? I wouldn't think a small buck to a large doe would work, just because the doe might hurt the buck. But maybe that simply depends on the temperament and receptiveness of the doe...?
Thanks in advance!

Are you asking about rabbits of the same breed?

If so, I do it all the time- both ways. I have never had a doe (receptive or otherwise) go after a buck, even a young, inexperienced one.

If they aren't ready, they hide in a corner and plaster their butts to the floor. :roll:

Oh, I did not realize that breed mattered. I was asking about both rabbits of the same breed, but what if they are different breeds?
So- just making sure I'm getting this right- a doe of any size or age will breed with a buck of any size or age, as long as she is ready and they are both the same breed? And she will not try to bite/scratch the buck if she is not ready?

Sometimes she will scratch/hump/bite the buck if she is ready!

Large does and small bucks are how dwarf breeds were created. Small does and large bucks may cause kindling problems.

My one beveren doe bred with my buck then went after my buck. They were in his cage. She was receptive for the first breeding but apparently he wasn't that good because she wanted nothing else to do with him after that.

I managed to grab her and ended up with a nasty cut on my arm. I think it is from one of her nails but not totally sure. I then held her, the buck bred her one more time.

She is normally a sweet doe but is slightly more vocal than my others. I am waiting to see how she will be once her kits arrive. I expect her to be spunky but hope she will be her normal sweet self. :)

Ok, thanks! So they might bite or scratch, but nothing serious, especially if you are ready to grab one of them. Thank you, sky!

WildWolf":2too93zh said:
Ok, thanks! So they might bite or scratch, but nothing serious, especially if you are ready to grab one of them. Thank you, sky!
You might want to rethink that one after looking in a rabbits mouth, they have four chisels in there that are VERY sharp. I saw a scar at the rabbit show last weekend that looks like it needs plastic surgery to remove the lump of scar tissue. :x

It's not an everyday occurrence (since most people immediately cull nasty biters) but there's a reason rabbit people look like 'cutters' and get offers of professional help from doctors and why kevlar sleeves are our best friends

3mina":3lfpu6e9 said:
WildWolf":3lfpu6e9 said:
You might want to rethink that one after looking in a rabbits mouth, they have four chisels in there that are VERY sharp. I saw a scar at the rabbit show last weekend that looks like it needs plastic surgery to remove the lump of scar tissue. :x

It's not an everyday occurrence (since most people immediately cull nasty biters) but there's a reason rabbit people look like 'cutters' and get offers of professional help from doctors and why kevlar sleeves are our best friends

yep, it can get very serious, which is why we recommend you never leave them along. bucks have been known to have been castrated by does. getting in the middle of a mating gone wrong is a lot like getting in the middle of a small dogs fight.. ask me how I know.. I have two and a half sets of kevlar gloves, 18 inches long.

The breed makes no biological difference. You can mate any doe with any buck as long as the buck is not substantially larger. In other words, you could breed a mini-rex buck with a french lop doe, but not vice-versa.

Yes, a doe can turn on a buck and hurt it, but it is a rare occurrence if you put the doe in the bucks cage. Just use common sense and don't go off and leave them unattended for half an hour.

Whenever you breed you are going to be taking a doe out of a cage that is probably not used to being lifted and carried. She is probably going to try to get away when you try to pick her up....again, be sensible, wear leather gloves and a long sleeved shirt or jacket.

Age to breed usually depends somewhat on the size of the breed. You never want a rabbit to go much longer than 9 months. The pelvic bones will lose flexibility much after that and their chances of a successful delivery is much reduced. I think a good time for a larger breed is probably around 6 months. Do not worry about the size, they will not be full grown at this age. I think smaller breeds like the mini's, dwarfs and such are mature earlier, but since I do not breed them anymore, I will leave others to comment.

Thank you, avdpas77! That clears everything up. However, I do have some more questions :)
Does anyone breed their rabbits if they are over 9 months? It sounds like its possible, but you will get... smaller litters? or a high chance of dead kits? or a risk of the doe dying in pregnancy?

I have a doe who is 10months old right now... And I want to breed in the future, but right now I can not. So, she has never been bred and she is over 9 months. Will she be able to breed later, as in next year or the year after? It just seems odd to me that rabbits can live 8-12 years, but can only be bred in the first year.

I have bred older does before, because I wanted them to have a "show career". They have done okay, but it seems that the younger does have larger litter sizes and better milk production.

Thank you, MamaSheepdog. I'm glad to hear that the only reason why some don't breed older does is because younger does get bigger litters and more milk, since I think I won't be able to breed my rabbit for a while. I'm still trying to convince a house member that breeding, selling, and eating (for dogs and humans!) is ok!

I've done it, bred a three year old for the first time, but it is not a standard practice.

WildWolf":zpudt36j said:
Thank you, avdpas77! That clears everything up. However, I do have some more questions :)
Does anyone breed their rabbits if they are over 9 months? It sounds like its possible, but you will get... smaller litters? or a high chance of dead kits? or a risk of the doe dying in pregnancy?

I have a doe who is 10months old right now... And I want to breed in the future, but right now I can not. So, she has never been bred and she is over 9 months. Will she be able to breed later, as in next year or the year after? It just seems odd to me that rabbits can live 8-12 years, but can only be bred in the first year.

The pelvis of a doe remains flexible for about a year. When they have their first litter, the pelvic bones open up more and remain in that position. If the animal gets much more than a year old the bone stiffens in the "more closed" position, and it is much harder on both the doe and the kits when the doe delivers. The second problem, is that unless you are very careful regulating their feed, does build up fat inside their gut cavity. When they are kept bred, this fat does not build up so much. That fat in unbred does makes if more difficult for them to conceive.

Having said that, I have bred older than a year, it can be tricky, and you can loose a doe when she tries to deliver, especially if the weather is warm. If the doe is a pet, I don't know that I would do it.

If their is any way you can breed that doe right away, I would.

__________ Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 am __________

zee":zpudt36j said:
Where can I get some of these Kevlar gloves from? As soon as my doe shows signs of readiness, I'm gonna put her in production!! :p :p

I use Kevlar gloves almost daily in my work. The work well against something like a knife edge, but they are sort of an open knit, like a sweater. They don't protect against pointed things and wouldn't be any good for rabbits. They may make tight knit gloves, but i have never seen them.

avdpas77":1p7oow41 said:
The pelvis of a doe remains flexible for about a year. When they have their first litter, the pelvic bones open up more and remain in that position. If the animal gets much more than a year old the bone stiffens in the "more closed" position, and it is much harder on both the doe and the kits when the doe delivers. The second problem, is that unless you are very careful regulating their feed, does build up fat inside their gut cavity. When they are kept bred, this fat does not build up so much. That fat in unbred does makes if more difficult for them to conceive.

Having said that, I have bred older than a year, it can be tricky, and you can loose a doe when she tries to deliver, especially if the weather is warm. If the doe is a pet, I don't know that I would do it.

If their is any way you can breed that doe right away, I would.

She is a pet right now, but I want her to be a meat rabbit. I'm trying to convince one of my family that breeding is ok. I'll just have to work harder then...

The kevlar sleeves I have work perfectly well with rabbits, and protect my arms from sharp rabbit claws. I bought them from eBay.

I have kevlar gloves from a carving store. Any place that sells knives, especially carving knives, would probably have them.

Latest posts

Back