Advise needed for hurt mommy rabbit.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildove

Reaction score
I was at my mom's house. when I come back to my place I heard a noise coming from the inside of my house so i come in and seem that my mommy rabbit had gotta out. She had paired to have no sign of blood on her. But I notice one of her paws look hurt. I check it and I believe it may be either broken or she twisted it. I feed her she seems to be eatting good.. But just worried about the paw and if she will still be able to take care of her kits. I'm :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: very upset with my 4 dogs. As I have never thought that they would hurt my other animals....

She will not stand up long.. When she stands up she lays back down... Please i need some advise to help her..

how old are the kits? If younger than two weeks you may just want to foster them out. if older than 2 weeks supplement them (goat milk and oatmeal and lots of hay) and see how they go.

You can give her some aspirin - like a 1/2 baby aspirin.
But mostly you just want to minimize the amount of hopping she can do and give her time to heal. Rabbits heal remarkably well.

keep an eye on the paw to make sure it doesn't get infected.

What makes you think your dogs did something? she may have just injured it when she got out of the cage.

Cause they were all near her.. But true she could of injured her self when she jumped out of the cage... The kits was born on on the 13th....
They only thing about fostering them is i dont have anything doe. She is my only breeding doe.. I have been keeping a eye on her and her paw.. She isnt hopping on it as much. When she eats she lays down along with drinking.

you may need to help her with caring for her young.

Once they hit three weeks if she's not doing better I'd move her out of the cage (into a small one to minimize leg strain)...the kits should do just fine. I'd tip the box now OR put oatmeal, hay and pellets into the box to get them started eating solid feed.

She is actually doing better.. She is up hoping on it...

Should the kits start to eat by now??
Hopefully she leaned her lesson on jumping out of the cage... and that she just twisted it...

I would double-check the kind of latch on that cage. If she escapes again - or the kits later on - your dogs might not behave as well as they did this time.

It is okay to make solid foods available to the kits from an early age. They will nibble hay and oatmeal early, sometimes even before their eyes open. They still need mom's milk, but it is helpful to have them start early on solids when there are problems as in this case.

Latest posts

Back