Advice needed...who to keep

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
I have a dilemma and I need some advice. I'll be the first to admit I jumped into breeding without a lot of knowledge about genetics, SOP, etc. I decided I wanted to start a Vienna program, purchased a proven doe and a proven buck, and purchased both pedigrees from two different breeders in a different state. The buck is great, has great type and fun colors in his genetics. But I kind of feel like I was swindled with the doe, for which I will take all responsibility bc I hadn't done my due diligence, but I now realize she has horrible type and also has some digestive issues. She is super sweet (would make a lovely, affectionate pet) and has been a very attentive mama to the one litter she has had with me.

I also have two other does who are not pedigreed and my husband talked me into breeding them with my pedigreed buck. The babies are gorgeous and beautiful colors. I have yet to see how they will grow out, but I am getting so much more interest in those litters than in my "pure bred, pedigreed" litter. My clientele has been exclusively pet homes so far, but I guess I was hoping the pedigrees babies would attract a different customer.

So, my question is, is it worth keeping this pedigreed doe solely for her pedigree? Or do I see what I can make of my other does' litters? Or do I just scratch it all and start over and find a doe with a pedigree AND good type?

"but I now realize she has horrible type and also has some digestive issues."

if you have a rabbit with a KNOWN health concern... DO NOT continue to breed that rabbit and pass along those genetics. Just don't do it. There are enough sickly rabbits in the world you don't need to contribute to that issue.

If she has horrible type... STOP breeding her. Why pass that along?

Doesn't matter if pedigreed or not. You can build a pedigree easily enough. Just track the parents throughout. Just need three solid generations of knowing their parents to form a minimal pedigree.

Fix in your mind what you want to breed. Figure out what that is. Do you want to sell rabbits? Do you want to win at shows? Do you want to expand your potential market/s? Do you want to breed for fun colours? Perhaps furthering a COD works for you? Perhaps selling for pets is your gig. All these are legitimate goals.

Do you want to breed holland lops then get to know the basics of the standard. This gives you options for going to shows, breeding for pets, breeding for breeders... but you do that by having a goal in mind.

There's also NOTHING wrong with breeding for pets but be ethical about it. You don't want to pass along sick animals, animals with type bad enough to interfere with their health, or animals with lousy temperament. So fix in your mind the type and personality of a rabbit you want to breed/sell and work toward that goal. Refine it as you go along.

"but I now realize she has horrible type and also has some digestive issues."

if you have a rabbit with a KNOWN health concern... DO NOT continue to breed that rabbit and pass along those genetics. Just don't do it. There are enough sickly rabbits in the world you don't need to contribute to that issue.

If she has horrible type... STOP breeding her. Why pass that along?

Doesn't matter if pedigreed or not. You can build a pedigree easily enough. Just track the parents throughout. Just need three solid generations of knowing their parents to form a minimal pedigree.

Fix in your mind what you want to breed. Figure out what that is. Do you want to sell rabbits? Do you want to win at shows? Do you want to expand your potential market/s? Do you want to breed for fun colours? Perhaps furthering a COD works for you? Perhaps selling for pets is your gig. All these are legitimate goals.

Do you want to breed holland lops then get to know the basics of the standard. This gives you options for going to shows, breeding for pets, breeding for breeders... but you do that by having a goal in mind.

There's also NOTHING wrong with breeding for pets but be ethical about it. You don't want to pass along sick animals, animals with type bad enough to interfere with their health, or animals with lousy temperament. So fix in your mind the type and personality of a rabbit you want to breed/sell and work toward that goal. Refine it as you go along.
I really appreciate your response! Like, almost moved to tears grateful. Thank you for validating what I was already feeling. I'm going to plan on selling her and continuing with my other lines, working towards improving the stock I have.

I'm going to plan on selling her and continuing with my other lines, working towards improving the stock I have.

I am going to suggest to you that you do NOT sell her as a pet. You don't want to pass along a rabbit with known digestive issues... how do you know that her next home will know how to handle that and that she won't suffer? There are wildlife rescues who would be happy to put her to good use to help other animals.

I'm going to plan on selling her and continuing with my other lines, working towards improving the stock I have.

I am going to suggest to you that you do NOT sell her as a pet. You don't want to pass along a rabbit with known digestive issues... how do you know that her next home will know how to handle that and that she won't suffer? There are wildlife rescues who would be happy to put her to good use to help other animals.
I never thought about it like that! Good advice.

Yup, basically echoing what ladysown has already said. Pedigrees aren't really that big of a deal if you're not planning on showing, and if the doe is of poor type anyways-- you wouldn't be doing well in shows and the offspring would likely not have great type either. Give yourself a couple of generations and you'll have a pedigree in no time. No point in passing along digestive issues, especially if selling as pets. Rabbits can have sensitive tummies as it is, don't need to throw another kink in the cogs! Good luck with your rabbits!

Yup, basically echoing what ladysown has already said. Pedigrees aren't really that big of a deal if you're not planning on showing, and if the doe is of poor type anyways-- you wouldn't be doing well in shows and the offspring would likely not have great type either. Give yourself a couple of generations and you'll have a pedigree in no time. No point in passing along digestive issues, especially if selling as pets. Rabbits can have sensitive tummies as it is, don't need to throw another kink in the cogs! Good luck with your rabbits!
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back