a vent...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
Ella died today - she was ill last week with an abscess in her jawline - it was lanced and I started her on a course of antibiotics - she was forcefed for a few days and then started eating and drinking well .. lots of nice normal poop ... starting to be bright and cheery cleaning time ....

DANG IT ... rabbits drive me mad .. I went YEARS and never lost one - this fall has been terrible for me .. Ella, Lukie (who died of goodness knows what), Sophie (who ate some rubber mat), Bebe (who was attacked by a cat) RIDICULOUS!! and sad - unrelated and not much I could have done about them but - GAH!!

Aw, Brody, I'm so very sorry you lost Ella. :( That really is just too much!

If it helps any, these losses WERE all unrelated. Except for the fact that some of the rabbits came from the same problematic source.

Rescue work must be heart-breaking at times. So many of the animals come to you with problems already brewing. But look at it this way if you can: you gave Ella and Lukie and the others a wonderful home for their final weeks or months of life. They wouldn't have had that much without you. (((Hugs)))

What a challenging job to take on all the mistreated and discarded.
I admire your willingness to do that. So you must know just about every bad thing that can happen.
We have hesitated and may back out of raising for the pet market for just that reason.
The Lionheads we have now are just to breeding age and I am starting to feel guilty without even having any for sale yet!
Help with ways to properly place rabbits in homes that have the potential to be successful would be a great topic.
I don't know how you find out enough about your buyer without insulting them!
B~

aww thanks Briza

if somebody gets too insulted that's just too bad ...in a nutshell I explain what I do - agree to always take an animal I place back and explain that's why I'm as careful as I am with the littlest creatures I place - I ask people a series of questions (and have gotten so tactful lots don't even realize I'm asking them) and if when I meet them I get a BAD vibe I come up with an excuse not to place them at that time

(oh I'm so sorry - while I was waiting for you I heard 5 sneezes I could NEVER risk placing a sick animal with you - we'll have to put it off a bit - is my classic!))

the pet market is a classic soapbox topic for me - especially when we start talking hairy rabbits

Years ago, when my daughter was raising and showing mini-lops, they were in high demand, especially the blues, which were her best line, and ones she was continuoulsy winning with. We would never sell one with poor confrimation to anone that wanted to breed, but there was a high demand for pets, and it sure helped with the feed bill. We explained to the buyer that these were not show qality animals and they wer not for breeding, and sold them for considerably less than the show quality stock. After about a year, we started seeing a trend, where the animals wer purchased for childrens pets, and many of them ended up in a small hutch out in the corner of the yard, totaly neglected, untill they would get starved, or sick. We stopped selling them as pets. I am not saying anything against those who do. Many people now follow up on the sold pets, place them with adults, not children, and offer a return policy.

There is actually a humorous story out of this whole thing. We had a boy down the street that was constantly pesteering us for a pet rabbit. To be honest, he was a mean kid, so for a couple of years we made one excuse after another. My daughter decide she wanted to get a Netherland Dwarf as a house rabbit. Back then, NDs were notoriously unfriendly (I suspect that has been bred out of them by now).
This little thing was the meanest animal I have ever run across..If it was the size of a rotweiler... they would have made a horror move about it. It would cozy up to somone all nice and cute, and just when they were oohing and aahing about how cute he was he would turn and bite the %$*# out of them. He was also smart enough to know what you didn't want him to do...and if he was displeased in some way would purposefully do it. Anyway, we decided that he and the mean kid would be a nice fit...and we figured one day we would end up murdering the thing.. so we give it to the boy. We were amazed... he kept the ND for several years and they got along great... I suspect he probably "sic"ed it on his friends for fun :shock:

Latest posts

Back