A Little Mexican, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I made this over the weekend after making some adjustments to a chicken recipe I found online. My wife grew up in Mexico and she turned me on to Pozole years ago. Pozole is a soup or stew made with hominy corn, that you add garnish ingredients to at the table, to suit your own taste. It's traditionally served around Christmas time.
I'll call it, "Pozole Verde con Conejo". I hope that's a close translation for, Green Soup with Rabbit. :roll:
There's more to it than, a can of this and a box of that, but personally, I enjoy the preparation part of cooking.

9 cups - Chicken Broth

A dozen or so - Rabbit front quarters , or equivalent.

1 lb. - Tomotillos, husked and quartered, stem base removed

1 medium – Onion, skinned and quartered

2 – Poblano Peppers, cored, seeded and quartered

1 or 2 – Jalapeno Peppers, cored, seeded and quartered

1 tbs. - Minced Garlic

1 bunch – fresh Cilantro, leaves only

1 tbs. – fresh Oregano, leaves only

Salt & Pepper

2 tbs. Olive Oil

2 – 25 oz. cans – Mexican Hominy, undrained

Garnish Ingredients:
Finely Shredded Cabbage
Thin sliced Radishes
Diced Onion
Avocado slices
Lime wedges
Tortilla chips
Sour Cream

In a large, covered stew pot, over medium-low heat, simmer the meat in the chicken broth until cooked through and tender.
Remove the meat and one cup of broth to cool. Keep the remaining broth warm.
While the meat is cooling, place the tomatillos, poblanos, jalapenos, garlic, cilantro, oregano, a little salt and pepper, and the cup of broth, in a blender. Puree until smooth.

In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally while you debone and shred the meat. Return the shredded meat to the pot with the warm broth.

Increase the heat on the puree to medium-high and stir constantly until it reduces some and turns a darker green. Then stir it and the canned hominy in to the broth and meat. Increase heat to medium and simmer for a minute or two until heated through.

Serve in deep bowls with above garnishes available on the table for each diner to add as they wish.

Back