A Hay Rick Adventure

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zee-Man

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
It was only an adventure because I worked at it over a long period of time. If I had focused on it I think it would have maybe taken 2 days instead of 6 weeks. Nonetheless here are the photos of it being built.

First I used concrete deck blocks to set a foundation and raise it off the ground.
IMG_20221009_163434.jpg
The sill plate is formed using half lap joints. Using Tapcons, they were fixed to the foundation blocks.
I decided to use leftover hutch screen for the floor so there would always be plenty of venthilation. So I installed a band inside the frame for the screen to rest on.

IMG_20221009_170831.jpg
Next came the framing for the walls. The rick is 24" deep and 60" long. The walls are 60" high.
IMG_20221029_134835.jpg
The rafters took some effort. Laying out the bird beaks was tough. The pitch is about 30 degrees.
IMG_20221106_153425.jpg
Finally the sheathing and roof went on. Board and batten style is pretty handsome.
Since I used dog eared fence boards I just couldn't resist using the cut offs to add some gingerbread.
IMG_20221210_125414.jpg

Nice work! Are you planning to add doors or anything for the front? That would be a necessity here (animals and weather), but maybe not everywhere. Thanks for sharing!

I am thinking about a tarpaulin curtain. It was in the plan., anyway. Grommets and the tool have been bought at least. If the weather doesn't invade much I might leave door/curtain off.

I also would like to do rolling doors. I haven't tried to source those yet.

Back