A font for people with Dyslexia

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I thought hey were making fun as that name is sorta... well.. it needs work. It's too cutesy so knee jerk made me feel like they were making light of the situation.

But then as I read it and realized I was reading paragraphs without skipping a beat - forget about the name, I want this!

Except I've tried 3 times now to get them to e-mail the link. I DLed the Chrome app which is non functional. What gives?

Deer Heart":6f9n8829 said:
At first I thought hey were making fun as that name is sorta... well.. it needs work. It's too cutesy so knee jerk made me feel like they were making light of the situation.

But then as I read it and realized I was reading paragraphs without skipping a beat - forget about the name, I want this!

Except I've tried 3 times now to get them to e-mail the link. I DLed the Chrome app which is non functional. What gives?

I tried to download it as well but they said something about checking the info so I'm hoping they will email them out tomorrow... <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:31 pm __________ <br /><br /> I happened to find this one as well. To my eye it's not quite as aesthetically pleasing but might work just as well. http://opendyslexic.org/

alforddm":1ujnr64a said:
Deer Heart":1ujnr64a said:

I tried to download it as well but they said something about checking the info so I'm hoping they will email them out tomorrow...

__________ Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:31 pm __________

I happened to find this one as well. To my eye it's not quite as aesthetically pleasing but might work just as well. http://opendyslexic.org/
It does not and is actually worse. They made it too light on the top. I can't read it at all in black text on white. Hopefully it gets sorted quickly, for their chrome extension too. In the meantime I'm using Lexie which is a lot like comic sans

It's fascinating to read the meaning and reasoning behind the letter style and design! Seems so simple, you wonder why it's not better known about, more popular or used more often.

Very interesting! Thank you, Alforddm! :p

I had Bunny-Wan Kenobi come read it. He said it was no faster or easier to him than other fonts, and then I found out that he's been purposefully working on his own to improve his speed and ability.

I know he's not badly dyslexic, though, and that he's had some other reading issue (blinking red lines beneath the words? :shock: ). I was never able to get him diagnosed, because his insurance stopped covering the testing the week before he was to be testing. We couldn't afford the testing ourselves. I went back to his regular doctor, and discussed all the problems I had noticed in trying to teach him to read, and she told me to proceed as though he's been diagnosed dyslexic, because she was pretty sure he was. So that's what I did.

He has worked very hard, and I'm amazed at his reading now. :)

That's interesting. I'm not close to being diagnosed dyslexic but I have a desire to do everything in reverse. Right to left reading makes more sense to me and I still can't help tracking to the right side of a new page, painting, etc... I've just learned to make the correction quickly. Lately word crosses have been showing up on FB asking the first word you see and I always see a backward running word that starts on the right. I don't notice reversed letters. I had issues learning right from left (probably because everything should go the opposite way to me) and people would say to hold up your fingers to see which makes an L. Um... both. Upsidedown is not much of a problem either. I realized lately that what I'm doing both on paper and listening verbally is filling in the letters or syllables using the ones around them. Verbally it often fails when I'm dealing with accents or singing because the grouping of sounds is not the same.

alforddm":2nq36i2m said:
Deer Heart, did you ever get the download?
I finally got the e-mail but the link they gave to dl it is no good. That or their website is down.

akane":tw7q4v1t said:
That's interesting. I'm not close to being diagnosed dyslexic but I have a desire to do everything in reverse. Right to left reading makes more sense to me and I still can't help tracking to the right side of a new page, painting, etc... I've just learned to make the correction quickly. Lately word crosses have been showing up on FB asking the first word you see and I always see a backward running word that starts on the right. I don't notice reversed letters. I had issues learning right from left (probably because everything should go the opposite way to me) and people would say to hold up your fingers to see which makes an L. Um... both. Upsidedown is not much of a problem either. I realized lately that what I'm doing both on paper and listening verbally is filling in the letters or syllables using the ones around them. Verbally it often fails when I'm dealing with accents or singing because the grouping of sounds is not the same.
Wow... :( The closest I have ever come is having words and letters wander around when I'm extremely tired. I can't imagine having to deal with this, or even with issues as mild as BWK's.

It's not so bad reading and typing which is why no one would diagnose me with dyslexia. I think I've just gotten used to all the little corrections from what is instinctual. I used to knock out 900page books in a weekend so tons of practice. It's the wide variations in spoken sounds and attempts to learn foreign languages that give me problems I can't correct for. Singing is gibberish about 90% of the time and I had 3 hearing tests in 4th grade because while I spelled every word I put on my spelling lists correctly they were all the wrong words. The teacher didn't put them in a sentence unless it was a word with 2 spellings so I couldn't fix the sounds I wasn't hearing right.

akane":1c94q5st said:
It's not so bad reading and typing which is why no one would diagnose me with dyslexia. I think I've just gotten used to all the little corrections from what is instinctual. I used to knock out 900page books in a weekend so tons of practice. It's the wide variations in spoken sounds and attempts to learn foreign languages that give me problems I can't correct for. Singing is gibberish about 90% of the time and I had 3 hearing tests in 4th grade because while I spelled every word I put on my spelling lists correctly they were all the wrong words. The teacher didn't put them in a sentence unless it was a word with 2 spellings so I couldn't fix the sounds I wasn't hearing right.

Could you expound on this a bit more? My 8 year old is having some issues and it sounds similar to what you are describing... he can "hear" just fine - we can whisper and he knows what we're saying (especially if it's something he shouldn't be hearing :roll: ), BUT he can't hear sounds. He can't spell worth a flip even though he is a voracious reader (how he can read is beyond me!). He throws in random letters that obviously don't belong and has started asking his newly reading 6 year old sister how to spell the simplest of words. "Stop" is usually "sotp" - trying to sound out a word by exaggerating each letter doesn't help. I wish I could think of specific examples, but I'm drawing a blank. I remember a simple, hear-every-letter-in-the-word word was difficult and he ended up getting so frustrated - something like "got" and having an "L" in it. Huh??? DH can't spell either and said he has trouble hearing the sounds as well, but not nearly this obvious (and MIL blames the school b/c for one year as they learned to spell they let them spell by sound and if it made sense they considered it "correct" - things like "shood" instead of "should" being OK... she thinks that really messed him up).

I don't know if there's any real help I can give because I never realized the problem and I never got help. In fact I was in the talented and gifted program. I'm 31 now and I've spent all of that reading and typing a lot with lots of practice to correct things.

I can't spell by sound. I never do. I don't sound out new words well either. Aside from google use I match a combination of what word I've heard that might match this word on the page and learn both spelling and pronunciation that way. It is very important I have an equal amount of hearing words and reading words if I want to avoid mistakes. The pair works together. I need the spelling to fix the pronunciation and I need the pronunciation to recognize the spelling. Only then can I use a word without messing up letters so the sound or spelling don't come out weird. Sometimes if a word has complex spelling and sound that I don't want to bother learning I will just take an impression of the word and recognize it again only in that book. what saves me is I have a brain that remembers the spelling of a word immediately so long as I go through the entire word and don't just take off an impression of the letters. It's not so much a level of intelligence or not but I think it does depend on your brain's natural instinct of what to remember and what not to. Mine naturally found spelling important and commits spelling of a word to memory with minimal effort. Otherwise it would be much harder. I still every now and then find I can't spell something I should know how to spell. Sometimes it just helps to try typing the word elsewhere without context and sometimes I have to run it through google to recover the right letter order. It's only a couple times a week that happens and mostly when I'm tired.

There's more than one way for dyslexia to present itself. It is literally just a reading-related learning disorder. (think of "color blind", that applies when someone just can't see one color or all colors, it is a broad description) This makes an all-purpose font for dyslexia nearly impossible. Like Open Dyslexia font seems heavily based on upside-down interpretations... which is not my problem at all. It's really difficult to describe what my real issue is as I'm so used to it at this point in my life. I guess it sort of seems like individual letters feel like they are moving somewhat when I try to read them. Like scrunching together or spreading apart making it harder to interpret their meaning. The larger the thing I'm trying to read is, the worse it becomes as it seems like a gradual move to complete gibberish as if my eyes unfocused. (Think of magic eye, trying to unfocus so I can see the hidden picture/word). The more uniform the letters are, he more impossible it is to tell one from another.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... c082a5.jpg is a good example of handwriting I cannot read without an insane amount of effort, or in some cases not at all. Cursive? Forget about it.

I love reading and writing, but it has become so difficult as I got older. When I got past simple bolded children's books it became just so much frustration and a headache as I would read the same paragraphs over and over and over and still not know what it is trying to say. I also have the same exact handwriting I did when I was in grade school (it looks like a 9 yr olds)

Yes, I've had my eyes checked over and over and over, still 20/20 (actually better than that, but I can't recall the exact #, something like 20/17).

heritage":8vaks7ee said:
akane":8vaks7ee said:

Could you expound on this a bit more? My 8 year old is having some issues and it sounds similar to what you are describing... he can "hear" just fine - we can whisper and he knows what we're saying (especially if it's something he shouldn't be hearing :roll: ), BUT he can't hear sounds. He can't spell worth a flip even though he is a voracious reader (how he can read is beyond me!). He throws in random letters that obviously don't belong and has started asking his newly reading 6 year old sister how to spell the simplest of words. "Stop" is usually "sotp" - trying to sound out a word by exaggerating each letter doesn't help. I wish I could think of specific examples, but I'm drawing a blank. I remember a simple, hear-every-letter-in-the-word word was difficult and he ended up getting so frustrated - something like "got" and having an "L" in it. Huh??? DH can't spell either and said he has trouble hearing the sounds as well, but not nearly this obvious (and MIL blames the school b/c for one year as they learned to spell they let them spell by sound and if it made sense they considered it "correct" - things like "shood" instead of "should" being OK... she thinks that really messed him up).

This link discusses auditory processing disorder. https://www.understood.org/en/learning- ... g-disorder Does this sound similar to what you are describing? I feel like I've seen a source that discusses something similar to what your decribing elsewhere. Will forward & post if I find it.

I get ocular migraines and they really mess with print words. I remember being a part of a homeschooling co-op and it was my turn to teach the lesson which involved reading a book out loud to the class - the lines were almost 3D, jumping out, twisting around, it was ridiculous. That was the worst it has been for reading (I have had the room flip upside down, spin, and some other weird things). Day to day things move around a little bit, sometimes enough for me to shift from one line to another mid sentence... Yet, I can read upside down and backwards which I didn't realize was anything unusual until I was reading to the kids waiting for a doctors appt. and had a number of people comment on it (I was sitting across from them while they held the magazine facing towards them). Reading outloud at church, when it's smaller font and closer together, I have found using a card to guide me from line to line really helps keep things from jumbling up.

I'll have to check the APD - thanks for the link. I know teaching phonics was a nightmare, but I just thought he wasn't ready - he learned to ready just weeks after stopping formal instruction (around 6 1/2). We were doing a pretty phonics-intensive curriculum this year - me thinking that it would help fill in the gaps he missed early on - and we shelved it last week. It just wasn't working and was causing more tears than anything. Halfway through the curriculum, he still couldn't spell a word by sound where as his younger sister, who is using the level below him, can easily break down sounds and syllables (telling me that it's not an overly flawed curriculum or anything). I think I am going to move towards a rules based approach, giving some more defined criteria for spelling, to see if that helps... as if the English language is "easy" :roll: .

Heritage, Bun had some problems with words that might be close enough to your son's problem for this to help. We started playing a game when we went driving. We would sound out the name of some random store backwards, and everyone else in the car had to flip it rightways in their minds (pen and paper were cheating, unless you got home before you solved it). The bank Regions became "Snoiger", The Backpacker, an outfitter, became "Rekcapkcab Eht", Walgreen's became "Sneerglaw", and Dad bumfuzzled us with "Tropria Ortem", which we had to wait for home to write down before we found it was Metro Airport! :lol: It was just a game, but we realized it was helping Bun with his reading!

Maybe that would help both your DH and DS straighten out words and sounds! :D

Latest posts

Back