A few breeding questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
I am planning to breed my doe soon, but I have a few questions.

I believe my doe is a Dwarf rabbit, but I am not sure if she is purebred. She is 2 1/2 pounds. I have heard that Dwarf rabbits kindle slightly earlier, at 29-30 days instead of 31. Is that true? If so, do you think that she will kindle earlier?

What is the safest age to breed? I am breeding for pets, and although I know all breeding carries risks, I want her to be as safe as possible. I was planning on breeding her in February, when she will be 6 months, so she would kindle at 7 months. Is that a good age?

Is it possible to use a plastic or cardboard nestbox, or does it have to be wood?

Thanks!

In my experience dwarf breeds don't typically kindle earlier. It is recommended to put in a nest box on day 28 but if you are concerned you could put it in a few days earlier

6 months is a perfectly fine time to try breeding her. Have you read up on how to tell if she is ready to breed? Here is the link judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

Plastic, cardboard, metal, wood all work as a nest box. Plastic is easy to clean but some bunnies just love to gnaw on it and can quickly create large holes, cardboard is not usually a good choice as it becomes urine soaked and needs frequent replacement. Metal is also easy to clean and rabbits cannot gnaw it but it can rust and for outdoor rabbits it can get too hot or too cold depending on the season. Wood soaks up urine and needs a good scrubbing to sterilize and some rabbits just love to chew on it

Latest posts

Back