A decision.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I have a decision to make…

a week ago I put my grumpy doe (chilli) with my sweet buck (chess) well every went well and that night chilli got pregnant but now a week later and chilli is grunting at chess even though he is not interested in breeding her. now I know it seems simple but it is not but I was them cuddling and licking earlier today but now she is sitting in a corner grunting at chess and me so do I separate them and make chess and maybe chilli lonely or do I risk keeping them together and putting chilli and chess in stress?

You're keeping the Doe and the Buck together? You should try and separate them soon because Bucks can be aggressive towards kits

i put chess with baby that he only knew for a few minutes and he let them crawl on him so that is not a problem.

i put chess with baby that he only knew for a few minutes and he let them crawl on him so that is not a problem.
Yeah, I let Jasper and Pearl hang out with Storm
But when pearl was a bit older and I let her out with Storm he had tried to mount her

Cosima, when a rabbit is pregnant, hormones can affect her moods. She may not want to be around anyone just now as she adjusts to those changes. If she is housed with the buck, make sure their enclosure is big enough that they can get away from each other if need be.

Can you divide their enclosure with wire so they can see each other and socialize but are still safely apart? Or perhaps put them in cages side by side?

Keeping them together in too small a space can result in serious problems. The doe may attack the buck if he attempts to mate with her (or if she thinks he will) and he can end up castrated or even so seriously injured that he dies. The buck may attempt to mate with her during kindling or just afterwards, resulting in dead or scattered kits.

Even the constant grunting shows that the doe is feeling stressed. This is not desirable. I'd be a lot more concerned about possible damage from togetherness than from loneliness.

I'm curious, however. If these two are always together, why haven't they mated until now? And if they have not always been together, why would you think they would be lonely apart?

~ Maggie

male and female relationships can be complicated. we can't ascribe human emotions to rabbits. Just because they do what deem loving things, doesn't mean they are "in love". They are a buck and doe enjoying each others company. But right now, she has pregnancy hormones messing with her. I would remove the buck from her area. He really won't be what you might call lonely. He will be in his own space safe from a doe who doesn't want to spend time with him right now.

Cosima, it makes it difficult to help you when you won't answer my questions. Have they been housed together all along? If so, why is this their first mating? If not, why would you think they would be lonely apart?

Licking and grooming each other, cuddling ... these are normal rabbit behaviours that are not the same as human love. I'm sure they do like each other and enjoyed their time together recently. But if the doe is grunting at him unhappily, she is a potential danger to him. Do you really want to risk his safety?

A divider is your best solution both for the rabbits and for your own concern about their feelings.

Okay
Licking and grooming each other, cuddling ... these are normal rabbit behaviours that cannot be equated to human love. I'm sure they do like each other and enjoyed their time together recently. But if the doe is grunting at him unhappily, she is a potential danger to him. Do you really want to risk his safety?
okay sorry I didn’t realize that.
Have they been housed together all along? If so, why is this their first mating?
what do you mean by there first mating?

Latest posts

Back