9week old kit throwing up?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

herded and baited (handful pellets) this litter of 6 back into the hutch after garden time, all ok and active, when I put in the straggler I noticed one of the kits losing a lot of clear liquid from the mouth, saliva or bile, mixed with some chewed pellets. Doesn't seem to have a problem breathing, but there sure was a bubbling noise.

Have her in a box in my kitchen now, breathing and drooling got better in the last half hour, and she's munching a little hay.

I know they shouldn't be able to literally throw up, but it was so much it looked like it. So I assume that little greedy thing inhaled the pellets, and that exzessive drooling or whatever flushed it out, more or less.

Anyone ever had that problem? What are the chances of a lung infection, or whatever. An hour ago I thought I can start digging a hole, but she looks better now, wasn't really distressed by that whole issue.

That doesn't sound like something contagious, right?

It doesn't sound like something contagious, but I'd keep her apart from the others for the moment anyway. Sounds like she may have inhaled the pellets or perhaps got them stuck in her esophagus. Hope she is okay and that it doesn't result in a lung infection.

Hm, yes, greedy little thing. Now, a few hours later she's her normal self again, perky, hungry and breathing normal, I wouldn't have noticed the whole episode if one of the kits hadn't played hide and seek for 20 minutes. Although she never seemed to be in pain that really looked and sounded awful, didn't know they can drool (or whatever) that much.
If she does get respiratory problems in the next days I, at least, have an idea what caused it.

Latest posts

Back