9 kits all dead

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
So, I have 2 does that have had 2 previous litters that were healthy.
1 of my does delivered on Wed. w/ no issues (she had 12, lost 3)
The other doe had 1 in her water dish on Wed.
Then yesterday, throughout the day had a couple here and there all on the wire.
We tried to save them, but this time it didn't work :(
My feeling is that something went wrong in utero and they were born dead, or at least not healthy.
I may try to rebreed her in a few days, not sure yet.

Any ideas of why this happened?
She also kept eating or digging out the straw that was in her nestbox..? Like I had to keep filling it 2 or 3 times/day.

Feed-we feed mixed grains w/Alfalfa Pellets, hay, weeds/sprouts (occasionally) and of course mineral salt lick.
(This was actually the first time both does kept good condition throughout their whole pregnancy, I think since I've been feeding them the alfalfa pellets it's helped keep a steady supply of protein)
Another thought is I ran out of tums, so each doe only had 1. This doe usually eats at least a few within a day or so of delivery...but on the other hand she's been getting more alfalfa along w/dandelion, etc.???
Anyway, if there is something to avoid or prevent next time around, that would be great!<br /><br />__________ Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 am __________<br /><br />I also gave her 2-3 stems w/ heads of lavender to get things going.....could that have been too much?

I have no experience with the lavender, but was the first kit born extra large? She may have had him stuck and the others died while she was trying to birth the large kit. I've had that happen. Did she seem to be distressed/in labor for a long time before the first one was born?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Sometimes things happen, and we don't know why. If she has had viable litters before, and is healthy now, I might be tempted to chalk it up to bad luck and let her try again.

I guess I'll rebreed her ASAP, not planning on breeding much if any during the summer months.

Latest posts

Back