8 week old Blue Silver Fox with floppy ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie303

Reaction score
I just purchased an 8 week old Blue Silver Fox rabbit. She is absolutely precious. She has floppy ears. Is this normal? I’ve always assumed that their ears were “upright “. I’m puzzled.

Attachments

• 12DA355E-06BE-4BA2-9250-B821346B52E3.jpeg
    12DA355E-06BE-4BA2-9250-B821346B52E3.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 12
She's so cute. Thanks for showing your adorable and precious rabbit. Is she your first?

Welcome to RabbitTalk.:)

I just purchased an 8 week old Blue Silver Fox rabbit. She is absolutely precious. She has floppy ears. Is this normal? I’ve always assumed that their ears were “upright “. I’m puzzled.
Definitely not a standard silver fox. Standards are upright traditional rabbit ears for the silver fox breed. There are coat standards, too, that set the silver fox apart from any other breeed.in particular, the ability for the coat to stand perpend to the body when brushed from rump to nose. If the coat flies or rolls back into place, it’s not standard. An 8 week old is probably too young to test that standard, tho. I’m curious as to how much you paid and if you little sweetie came with a pedigree.

Definitely not a standard silver fox. Standards are upright traditional rabbit ears for the silver fox breed. There are coat standards, too, that set the silver fox apart from any other breeed.in particular, the ability for the coat to stand perpend to the body when brushed from rump to nose. If the coat flies or rolls back into place, it’s not standard. An 8 week old is probably too young to test that standard, tho. I’m curious as to how much you paid and if you little sweetie came with a pedigree.
I paid $70 for her from a Silver Fox breeder. She didn’t come with a pedigree. I love her regardless though. I was sent photos of her a couple weeks ago and her ears were upright. Then a few days ago her breeder sent me a photo of her ears being loppy and asked if I still wanted her. Of course I said yes because she’s so stinking cute.

She's so cute. Thanks for showing your adorable and precious rabbit. Is she your first?

Welcome to RabbitTalk.:)
I have two black spotted rabbits already. She’s my first Silver Fox but it looks like she’s not 100% Silver Fox.

I don't know the silver fox breed well but I know some larger breed rabbits sometimes, as the kits are growing, they can have tips lopping for a while, particularly in the heat. Do silver fox do that at all?

For a full ear lop I'd have to wonder if there is something else in the mix. if her ears remain lopped that would be my conclusion and I would NOT call her a silver fox, but a silver fox cross.

I don't know the silver fox breed well but I know some larger breed rabbits sometimes, as the kits are growing, they can have tips lopping for a while, particularly in the heat. Do silver fox do that at all?

For a full ear lop I'd have to wonder if there is something else in the mix. if her ears remain lopped that would be my conclusion and I would NOT call her a silver fox, but a silver fox cross.
None of my silver fox rabbits ears lop, not even a wee bit.

I have Tamuks, which are bred for very large ears. I have a big 12 week old and at about 8 weeks, his ears became very lop-like. They are now beginning to stand back up. So maybe it's just a combination of heat & size and her ears may rise again!

Her coat stands straight up when I pet her. It will not go back down unless I brush it down. That information I know is a trait of Silver Fox rabbits and that is exactly what happens to her fur. She has gotten very big since I’ve had her. Huge appetite.

One of my 8 week old silver fox kits has ears where the tips are curled a bit. This happened some time in the last two weeks when I was out of town, so I'm not sure what the deal is. The rest have nice straight ears.

English angoras are supposed to have ears in an upright and tight 'V', although they don't always get that memo. Some of them will have 'lazy' ears where they're at a really wide angle and a few have had one which was almost completely down. But we've never had one which had both ears fully flopped. Of course, these aren't Silver Fox, so maybe SFs are different?

For those perusing old threads, I’ll chime in on this one. Our Silver Foxes are pedigreed. Of the first litter of 6, one at 6 weeks developed a droopy ear, as if the base was just unable to support it. He also is ultra submissive and very lazy. He’s now 10 weeks old and outweighs his siblings by almost a pound. he gets around, does his business, but just seems to take life as it comes. Definitely not overweight, just big. Not sure what happened with his ear, as it started out normal, then over a matter of a couple of weeks just drooped.

For those perusing old threads, I’ll chime in on this one. Our Silver Foxes are pedigreed. Of the first litter of 6, one at 6 weeks developed a droopy ear, as if the base was just unable to support it. He also is ultra submissive and very lazy. He’s now 10 weeks.. old and outweighs his siblings by almost a pound. he gets around, does his business, but just seems to take life as it comes. Definitely not overweight, just big. Not sure what happened with his ear, as it started out normal, then over a matter of a couple of weeks just drooped.
We now call him Tater.

We now call him Tater.
One of my favorite rabbits doesn't like to hold his ears up. He absolutely can if he wants to. But he's lazy. Lazy. Lazy. Someone told me that rabbits don't droop their ears because they're lazy but I can guarantee you they are incorrect on this because all the rabbits have different personalities and this boy is just a Lazy Lover Boy. He loves to be petted or brushed or held or anything that involves you touching and paying attention to him and other than that he just lays around and sleeps. He fathers great babies though! And almost all of them hold their ears up. Once in awhile I get one that is lazy. But the other day Hershey the big fat lazy buck was holding both his ears up perfectly straight. Not sure why and he soon went back to his normal floppy self. (and took a long nap from the exertion of holding his ears up)

Back