6live kits totally normal birth, but two are very sm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MROlionheads

Reaction score
Help Lionhead's mom kindled all 6 kits are alive but two are very small. No possibility of dwarf Gene in these rabbits. How can I keep them alive? Their mouths are barely big enough to nurse... Not sure if preemies or what, any ideas what I can use to feed them with, eye dropper is too big... Breathing normal, and look fully formed just very small compared to the rest... Are they peanuts even if no dwarf gene? And are they viable or should I expect them to fade no matter what.. any help would be great. First time breeder .

I have no experience in breeding rabbits but I have been researching it extensively.
Have you tried using a small 1ml needle less syringe? I have used them to feed a lethal white guinea pig back to health as she didn't really know what food was. It was a super tiny tip that was easy to put in her mouth.
https://www.amazon.com/Syringe-Luer-Slip-Needle-Non-Sterile/dp/B01N01TO2O
Something like this might work. I got similar ones at my local pharmacy or drug store. I've also used a similar one to feed 3 week old kittens.
If you need to make formula homers thread is an oldie but a goodie.
http://rabbittalk.com/updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html
Just make sure to keep the formula and kits warm and feed them slowly on their backs.

before you try to feed them give them a chance to nurse-- if their stomachs are still empty-- then you can try feeding them - use a syringe, or dropper,[small dropper works better] give a drop or two at a time, and give them time , and make sure they swallow it before giving them a couple more drops. If they fail to swallow it you can gently massage their jaws and neck-- good luck-- many times they are not viable..

michaels4gardens":10ga99b7 said:
before you try to feed them give them a chance to nurse-- if their stomachs are still empty-- then you can try feeding them - use a syringe, or dropper,[small dropper works better] give a drop or two at a time, and give them time , and make sure they swallow it before giving them a couple more drops. If they fail to swallow it you can gently massage their jaws and neck-- good luck-- many times they are not viable..

Thanks for rounding out my answer :oops: , I forgot to mention letting them nurse first.
But if their mouths are barely big enough to nurse, even supplementing them once a day either by milking your doe and giving them the milk through a syringe or dropper or using homers formula should theoretically let them maintain enough weight to let them grow big enough until they are nursing properly.

Can you post pictures of the kits?

How do you know that dwarf is not a possibility? I've had New Zealand crosses that carried dwarf even though they were 9 pounds

if their mouths are barely big enough to nurse, even supplementing them once a day either by milking your doe and giving them the milk through a syringe

This is the first Ive heard of this. Is the method similar to ... when we do this? Ive heard of tipping the doe belly up and giving the kits free rein but how does one milk a doe? I am curious because this milk must be preferable to any goat and such that I could mix up.
Thank you, bo

bothetaylor":1daxpzhm said:
if their mouths are barely big enough to nurse, even supplementing them once a day either by milking your doe and giving them the milk through a syringe

This is the first Ive heard of this. Is the method similar to ... when we do this? Ive heard of tipping the doe belly up and giving the kits free rein but how does one milk a doe? I am curious because this milk must be preferable to any goat and such that I could mix up.
Thank you, bo
It'd be pretty hard I'd imagine but it might work on calmer does. :lol:

Latest posts

Back