4H Prospect Mini Rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyLea

Reaction score
My daughter is going to be eight and she really wants to join 4H. We have all kinds of animals that she can use for projects, but her father and I co-parent from different homes (2 weeks on 2 weeks off) and we would like her to be able to have her project with her. We have been going through my bunnies looking for a promising prospect for a project and are looking at "Dude" one of my mini rex buck. He's quite gentle and tolerant of her handling and overall a real sweet heart and I think I would rather avoid the bunnies with wool. I haven't yet been to a rabbit show because there aren't any close to me and there are very few in general in the province that I live in. Other than the off colour (Browning), he's a chinchilla mini rex that was out in the sun all summer because he preferred not to hang out in his shade and house, and the moult that's coming on, do you think he's an ok prospect for her first show table? I'm hoping the moult will re-correct his colour.

We'll need to work on posing... I'm not so good at it and he prefers to pancake like a Himalayan.

Dude 1E.jpg

Dude 2E.jpg

Dude 3E.jpg

I think he's okay. Not sure how competitive he will be, youth mini rex competition (especially for the less common varieties like chinchilla) varies A LOT by location. Your posing is good in the first picture but I'm not a huge fan of his hindquarters; he peaks too far forward and needs more depth over them, the high point should be over the hip instead of over the center of the rabbit. But otherwise looks pretty nice. Good color, fairly good shoulders and overall depth/length. IMO at this age finding a rabbit that is easy to handle and friendly and will make it a good experience for her is more important than winning breed competitions; that's the kind of rabbit you want for showmanship as well.

Also wow your house looks so clean and nice in the background

Thank you so much! We only moved into our house in May and we love it. Our old house burned down four days before Easter in 2019. That was a really hard situation. It took all my mini rex does, a six week old baby, and my hotot de blanc along with four cats. Rebuilding and restarting is hard.

I'm pretty sure mini rex is a pretty competitive breed around here judging by how many breeders there are. I do have standard rex too (same situation), and my buck there is a really nice temperament broken blue (The jr. does are crazy and need to be handled more, but the smaller rabbits will be easier for her to handle. We have a eight lionheads but only one black, one tort, and the rest are all broken. Mostly REW in their lines. For randoms we have a really cute little netherland dwarf doe (Sadly she has no tail), and a mini lop, who is missing half his ears.

Here's a couple pics of some of our other bunnies lol. I love bunny pics.

Gizmo.jpg

Gizmo 2.jpg

RP5 3.jpg

I have a harlequin mini rex buck and I would like to know what do you guys recommend on what color mini rex doe I should get in a cupple of months when he gets older

I have a harlequin mini rex buck and I would like to know what do you guys recommend on what color mini rex doe I should get in a cupple of months when he gets older
you'd be better off making your own thread
If you are breeding for show your options with harlequin are limited. Best would be a tricolor or a broken red.

Latest posts

Back