4-H Tattooing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Do you have to tattoo a rabbit for 4-H? Is it different for different areas? I'm a beginner and don't really want to do it myself. Is there a way I can get it done by someone else inexpensively?

I hear there are usually people at shows who will tattoo for little money - I was quoted $5.

It is always a "GOOD" idea to Tattoo your Rabbit,
even if you feel it is only for a 4H rabbit show.
Tattooing gives you a definitive way to know that,
that particular Rabbit IS yours!
Often at a show there may be many rabbits
of the same breed and color as yours.
Even with Tattoos it has happened that the wrong Rabbit
is picked up and not realized until after they are placed
back in their cage at home when the Ooops is discovered.
I m a sure that if you know a Breeder in your area they
would tattoo your rabbit for you at possibly a slight charge
or maybe none at all. If so it might be a good jesture to offer
the price of a Bottle of Tattoo Ink.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I don't know if the rules are the same everywhere but our 4h club requires the rabbit to have a tattoo. Ours was done by the 4h advisor. You may want to contact your extension office and see what their rules are and if they have someone to give the tattoos.

The last show I was at, the registrar was offering tattoos for like $2. :) I would for sure have them tattooed, for the reasons Ottersatin said...last show I was at, I also had someone pick up my rabbit after judging and almost walk off with him, when I said something they didn't believe me that it was MINE not theirs, until they saw his ear tattoo. Scared the heck outta me, love that rabbit!!!

I'm in larimer county rabbit breeding 4-H and it is required. Our county has free "tattoo" days were you can go and get ur rabbits tattooed free. Also email local breeders and tell them you in 4-H and need you rabbit tattooed. Often when they here you in 4-H they will offer to tattoo for free.

Okay, thanks guys! I will probably look in to having our rabbits tattooed. Problem is, there's only two weeks until our local fair, and that's not enough time so we won't be doing 4-H until next year. Don't you have to tattoo the rabbits at a certain age?

Nope...I got a three-year-old with no tattoo...so I tattooed her. :) I tattoo my kits as soon as their ears are big enough. A few days before each show, I check the ears of everybunny going to the show...and usually at least one has a tattoo that is fading, so I touch it up or just re-do it. ;) No age issues at all!!!

Shows require every rabbit to have a legible tattoo on their... left ear... I think... you have to look that up. I used a pen for my first time, but I'll have to do it again since the tattoo faded.

my sons rabbit was tatoo'd 2 days before our fair started. So you can still show if you find someone to tattoo them

NZCaliforniaRabbit17":hxvq60ou said:
Okay, thanks guys! I will probably look in to having our rabbits tattooed. Problem is, there's only two weeks until our local fair, and that's not enough time so we won't be doing 4-H until next year. Don't you have to tattoo the rabbits at a certain age?

NO YOU CAN STILL SHOW!!! I got mine tattooed the day of by another breeder showing!

Latest posts

Back