4-H Rabbit Project

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliveoak

Reaction score
My children are raising meat pen rabbits for the first time this year. We have had pet lops for a long time so they are some what families with care and handling. Where can I find information about how much, often and what to feed a Californian meat Pen Rabbit? I grew up raising larger animals for 4-H and FFA and we changed their food and supplements through out their grow period to make sure they finished where we wanted them. Also is there anywhere that has recommended weekly weight gain guide? Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Hello. the best thing you can have for meat pens is good meat lines. Meat pens are mainly judge off of two things weight and meat quantity. You can judge this your self by running you index finger and thumb down there back to feel the width of the back strap (the meat on ether side of the spine) in short the bigger the back strap the better the meat production. As for feeding, giving a constant supply of pellets with protein of 18% has worked best for me, I have never had to supplement or add anything special. You don't have to bother with veggies or has as long as the pellets are properly balanced. hope this helps

Hello. the best thing you can have for meat pens is good meat lines. Meat pens are mainly judge off of two things weight and meat quantity. You can judge this your self by running you index finger and thumb down there back to feel the width of the back strap (the meat on ether side of the spine) in short the bigger the back strap the better the meat production. As for feeding, giving a constant supply of pellets with protein of 18% has worked best for me, I have never had to supplement or add anything special. You don't have to bother with veggies or has as long as the pellets are properly balanced. hope this helps
Thank you so much h. Being a newbie to this sort of farming is kinda difficult for me even though I know these guys were champion show rabbits before we got them last year. They are californians. I'm trying g to learn hoe to approach marketing meat vs show etc

Back