2 part PVC cement adhesive?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a pvc rabbit nipple water system and tried to use silicone at the fittings. I'm not satisfied with it since it dripps because of excessive movement.

I avoided the purple and white 2 part PVC cement since it says not for drinking water and California 65 warning. My dad said that I'm being a bit OCD and it would be so little exposed in the pipe it wouldn't hurt the rabbits. However I'm not sure so I used aquarium silicone and don't like it.

Would you or have you used the PVC cement when putting the pieces together? Would that get in the meat and eventually affect us?

What do you use to seal the joints of a pvc rabbit gravity feed system?

PVC cement isn't for drinking water? There's loads of houses with PVC water pipes put together with PVC cement. The purple is a primer, you could skip that, I suppose, if you really wanted to. This is for the low pressure type of water system?

What does California use to put PVC water pipes together? Perhaps they don't use PVC pipes?

I suppose you could do it in copper pipe. It'd cost more and you'd have to solder the fittings, but no PVC glue.

pvc pipe with PVC cement was/is used for water systems all over the country..
just flush your system good before you use it..

I personally don't use PVC anymore, it breaks when it freezes,
and if rabbits can reach it ,they sometimes chew through it.

I use PEX and make sure the rabbits can't get to it..

hotzcatz":1t84s77q said:
PVC cement isn't for drinking water? There's loads of houses with PVC water pipes put together with PVC cement. The purple is a primer, you could skip that, I suppose, if you really wanted to. This is for the low pressure type of water system?

What does California use to put PVC water pipes together? Perhaps they don't use PVC pipes?

I suppose you could do it in copper pipe. It'd cost more and you'd have to solder the fittings, but no PVC glue.
Ok thanks! Yeah I know one is like a cleaner and the other is the actual adhesive but I figured I'd try to describe it since I didn't know the exact name.

Yeah I know I think we had that actually back at where I grew up but now I read a warning on it that it's not for drinking water.

Thanks for the response I'm going to use it. I really like that stuff anyway it works well.

P.S. Yeah its gravity feed so basically I have a few foot 3" pipe on the side of the cage then it gets tapered down to 1/2" for my rabbit nipple T's that hold the brass nipple itself. I just refill the 3" pipe about every other day or so. (For only one rabbit now. It leaks so I need to refill it that often) <br /><br /> -- Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:58 am -- <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":1t84s77q said:
pvc pipe with PVC cement was/is used for water systems all over the country..
just flush your system good before you use it..

I personally don't use PVC anymore, it breaks when it freezes,
and if rabbits can reach it ,they sometimes chew through it.

I use PEX and make sure the rabbits can't get to it..
Ok good thanks for the reply because I like the pvc cement stuff. Yeah I think some pipes at home actually had it. Lol.

Definitely I will run so fresh water and maybe even a 10% solution of bleach since I'll be able to clean it well.

Oh yeah PEX! I've heard good things about that. Too bad my rabbit nipple I bought is threaded for my 1/2" pvc pipe.

In winter I know I will have to go back to a water dish. I guess I could try insulation and a heated wire but that to expensive for my small setup.

Thanks though I'm definitely going to buy some of that and redo these joints right.

Latest posts

Back