2 of my new born rabbits ear were cut off !!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamzasz

Reaction score
As the title mentioned my doe gave birth last night and I checked on them in the morning and 2 of the 5 have an ear cut off with a bit of blood that is dry so what should I do should I separate these 2 of there siblings and the mom and start feeding them by a syringe or it’s normal and to keep it with there siblings ( granted it’s her first batch of kittens ) urgent advice needed!!

As the title mentioned my doe gave birth last night and I checked on them in the morning and 2 of the 5 have an ear cut off with a bit of blood that is dry so what should I do should I separate these 2 of there siblings and the mom and start feeding them by a syringe or it’s normal and to keep it with there siblings ( granted it’s her first batch of kittens ) urgent advice needed!!
Maybe the buck Did it I’m not sure 🤔

Hi, Hamzasz! I would leave them in with the others in the nest, since their ears are not actively bleeding. You mentioned the buck as a possible suspect- are they all in the same area? It is also possible the mother did it.

Last edited:
@Hamzasz It's very possible the mother was just over enthusiastic in her cleaning, or she bit down a bit too hard as they were born. Without hands mother does use their teeth to help birth. Between that and actually cleaning them from afterbirth the over enthusiastic doe can sometimes accidentally remove ears, tails, toes and sometimes even feet.

They'll be ok, I wouldn't separate them.

It was probably the doe aggressively cleaning them. I wouldn't remove them.

When our does are bred, if even one of them ends up having at least one kit that survives, we breed them again at four weeks and take the kits out at 8

overcleaning, the baby bunnies will be just fine. I advise people who have rabbits with short ears to keep them out of the hot weather. to make them indoor bunnies if possible. MIND... if you are just going to eat them... it doesn't matter what their ears look like. I don't know what your long term goal is so please don't be offended.

Latest posts

Back