2 does smashes litters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrscllc

Reaction score
This morning I went out to feed, and both does who delivered Thursday had smashed their kits. 15 total. So sad.

The only thing I can figure is our dog is in a kennel out there, and has been since last year. This past Monday she was injured and has a cast to heal her broken leg. That means she has to be in the kennel all day, not just at nighttime. She was in the kennel all day instead of in the yard.

I would have imagined the rabbits are used to her barking and noises, though.

Either way, it's always sad when we lose a kit, but 15 at once is alot.

This morning I went out to feed, and both does who delivered Thursday had smashed their kits. 15 total. So sad.

The only thing I can figure is our dog is in a kennel out there, and has been since last year. This past Monday she was injured and has a cast to heal her broken leg. That means she has to be in the kennel all day, not just at nighttime. She was in the kennel all day instead of in the yard.

So sorry to hear of your losses! We are filled with anticipation; so hopeful and joyful when our does kindle. Every loss is felt, but yes, 15 is a lot at one time. I never feel out of the woods until they are able to eat on their own. And even then... I hope your day improves.

So sorry - it's crushing, I know!

The only times I've had does stomp their kits, it turned out there were mice running in and out of the cages and possibly the nest boxes. I know some rabbits are not bothered by mice, but mine definitely are. Maybe that contributed? Sometimes you'll never know, but I always try to figure it out.

Again, so sorry. Hang in there!

So sorry - it's crushing, I know!

The only times I've had does stomp their kits, it turned out there were mice running in and out of the cages and possibly the nest boxes. I know some rabbits are not bothered by mice, but mine definitely are. Maybe that contributed? Sometimes you'll never know, but I always try to figure it out.

Again, so sorry. Hang in there!
I hadn't thought about mice, as they werent a problem when it was very cold a couple months ago and we had litters in boxes. I will have to check. I do know there is ample food on the ground below them because I have a wasteful doe currently, and my recently moved hay stock would be easily accessible.

Thanks for the idea, it's always better to at least feel like I can try to help keep it from happening next time.

I'm so sorry! We wait so long for a good successful breeding, and then to lose all of them is tragic!

I second possibility of mice. I knew I had one in my enclosed patio and I happened to find it in the open trash can. I killed it immediately. Felt awful. But, I don't want them anywhere near my rabbits. We keep traps in both the aviary and the rabbitry just in case. I feel bad for the mice because they can't help it, there's all that great food, but I don't want them in there.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the loss of your kits. That's really sad.

Funny story about mice though. My big ol' gal (13 lbs) has a shelf she loves to sit on. I came in one day & she is sitting on the shelf facing me, and right next to her is a mouse sitting facing me in exactly the same position. Like they were buddies. Unfortunately, by the time I got my camera, the mouse was gone. Would have made a great photo.

I have since covered the nursery cages with 1/2" hardware cloth, I don't think mice can get through it. I did it because of a snake issue, but I really like having very secure nursery cages.

@mrscllc I'm so sorry this happened.

If I follow, two litters, 15 kits, death by two different does, in separate cages? I had no idea this was even a possibility. I'll just add this to the long list of things I didn't know about rabbits.

Thanks to all who mentioned the rodent possibility and any other alternatives that can lead to prevention.

If I follow, two litters, 15 kits, death by two different does, in separate cages?
Yes, 9 in one cage, and 6 in the neighboring cage. They have been neighbors for 4 months, and both kindled together last time with no issues, so I don't believe it was doe rivalry or anything related to being next door. Neither has stomped an entire litter before.

I have had one other doe stomp a litter. I assumed it was because I had supplemented her fur with some from a past doe's nest they evening before. Maybe it was mice that time too, even though it was a couple months ago.

Either way, traps will be set and we will hope for the best. I have another litter due Thursday and one next week. Financially it's a hit because Easter bunny sales usually cover a good 1/3 or the year of feed for me, and since I use the rabbits as meat and only sell for Easter time, that's very helpful.

One effective mouse poison that is non-poisonous is 50% baking soda mixed with any thing the rodents eat such as jiffy cornbread mix. Rodents cannot burp and therefore suffocate internally.

-jiffy cornbread mix mixed with 50% plaster-of-paris works too...
This is great. The worry with poison is our dog will seemingly eat anything she can fit in her mouth. I'll check to see if baking soda will harm her.

This is great. The worry with poison is our dog will seemingly eat anything she can fit in her mouth. I'll check to see if baking soda will harm her.
Regular poisons are a concern, but the amount of poison that it takes to kill a mouse will probably not have any effect on a large animal that is 1000 times bigger. Still, safety is a good idea.

I have since covered the nursery cages with 1/2" hardware cloth, I don't think mice can get through it. I did it because of a snake issue, but I really like having very secure nursery cages.
Rodents can easily get through 3/4" holes, which is a real problem when we use 1" x 2" or 1" x 1" mesh sides to our cages. I agree that the stomping is probably a sign of rodents in the area, and it is heartbreaking when it happens. If you are thinking of recovering your pens with hardware cloth, you have to be careful to not leave a single spot bigger than 1/2", or they will be able to get back in again, they are quite persistent.

Spilled grain can be quite an inducement for the rodents to hang around, especially if it falls into an easily accessible dropping pan. The rodents don't have to actually be IN the pen to upset the mama, having them run around directly beneath her can do it as well, so think about dropping pans if you use them, as another potential issue.

If the rabbits are in an area accessible by other wildlife, raccoons and opossum love baby bunnies as a snack. They will fish for baby bunny feet from underneath the pen, which can set a protective mama wild, stomping furiously. Sadly, it kills the babies she is trying to protect.

Latest posts

Back