1st time deboning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished deboning my first rabbit. It was messy, and nothing like the videos I watched. But I didn't cut myself.
The end product was 2lbs. 12 oz. Of meat and 1 lb. of bone. But I didn't weigh the head, pelt or feet so I can't calculate bone to meat ratio.
Now to try the canning part.

Last edited:
I just finished deboning my first rabbit. It was messy, and nothing like the videos I watched. But I didn't cut myself.
The end product was 2lbs. 12 oz. Of meat and 1 lb. of bone. But I didn't weigh the head, pelt or feet so I can't calculate bone to meat ratio.
Now to try the canning part.

Not sure how I missed this. I'm interested in both the processing and the canning. How did it go?

Not sure how I missed this. I'm interested in both the processing and the canning. How did it go?
I took the bones and made a tasty broth. Stuffed the meat in 1qt jars, added a tidge of broth for seaoning, and pressure canned for 75 min. At 12lbs for my altitude. However, I have done it again since then. I no longer de bone to can. Its not necessary. And my knife skills are lacking. Along with my patience to do it.

I don't usually cook whole rabbit because my husband dislikes eating around all the tiny bones. I use a really sharp boning knife and debone most of my meaties. I grind the meat up in my food processor and use it to make fried or grilled patties for burgers, breakfast sausage, chile, tacos, etc. One deboned rabbit will make enough ground meat for 4 or 5 good sized patties for burgers, then soup broth from the bones and pate from the livers.

Kind of a related question, do you have a good recipe for larger rabbits close to 1 year old?
Brown a little then slow roast 320* oven till tender with onion and favorite herbs. The last 2 older I did deboned, ground for sausage patties and meatballs. Bones made great broth and soup.

I took the bones and made a tasty broth. Stuffed the meat in 1qt jars, added a tidge of broth for seaoning, and pressure canned for 75 min. At 12lbs for my altitude. However, I have done it again since then. I no longer de bone to can. Its not necessary. And my knife skills are lacking. Along with my patience to do it.
75 minutes is for bone in raw packed quarts, boneless is 90 minutes for quarts .

Kind of a related question, do you have a good recipe for larger rabbits close to 1 year old?
The flavor of rabbit doesn't change as they age (IMHO), only the tenderness, so I use them in any recipe that calls for ground meat.

This is one of my favorites that I originally made with chicken: For two good size patties, eight ounces of raw de-boned rabbit meat, a small handful of cilantro, one garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon (each) of salt, ground cumin, chili powder, oregano and 1/4 cup of fresh bread crumbs. Put into a food processor and pulse until mixed and resembles ground beef. Fry up a small amount to check your seasoning before cooking all of it and adjust the salt and herbs according to your tastes. I usually add more cumin. Use a large spoon to drop the mixture (divided in half) onto a preheated oiled skillet (medium heat). Press down into two patty shapes with a spoon moistened with water. Cook on both sides until done but don't overcook. Serve on buns with mayo, lettuce, tomato and, optionally, cheese. You can also just serve the patties with a salad. Black beans or pinto beans is a good side.

This is really good and I get requests for this meal from friends and family.

Latest posts

Back