12 born 4 left

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
UFKD7 is a first-time mother and sadly (like a lot of first timers) did not quite understand her job/had some complications. We always line the entire cage with hay for our first time does because they usually do not understand that they need to make the nest in the nest box, it’s no biggy, so that is what we did. The pregnancy itself was great, no problems whatsoever, she did not even look uncomfortable. Yesterday (she was due the 17th-19th) we went out at about 9:00 am and there were babies, ten of them, but no nest.

They were all strung about the front of the cage, and we could tell right off the bat that some had already passed. One was moving so I quickly put him in my bra to keep warm, we then scooped all of them up and brought them inside to warm them up in the oven (that is not as bad as it sounds, explanation at the end.) after about 30mins of all of them on the heat, only 4 survived.

After making sure they were all warm and well, we made a nest in the box for the mom with some emergency fur and put the kits back out with her.

Later that night during feeding my brother noticed her making a nest and pulling fur (like she should have done before she had the kits.) He left her alone to do what she needed to, as to not stress her out. We went out at about 11:00pm to see if she had fed the kits (she had not so, we had to assist) we noticed that she had made a nest outside the box, and we were about to destroy it when I noticed something pink two more kits that she had just had. Both kits had already passed which was to be expected given how long they were in her. So, ya that happened. We are still manually feeding the four that survived, and one is possibly a peanut so, he may not make it.

explanations
Oven warming explained: Cold rabbit kits can by placed on an open oven rack with the oven no hotter than 150f to warm them up. You can turn down the oven to 100f and push the rack in slightly (make sure it is on the middle placement) if they need to stay warm, but make sure you do not shock them from being cold straight to hot. You can also use heating pads and hot water bottles, but the oven method has worked the best for us.

Why did I put the kit in my bra? Human breast are an amazing heat source for small animal. I have heated up a completely lifeless kit in the past by keeping it in my bra, if your ever in an emergency I highly recommend doing this.

Why did we destroy the nest she made: it is important to show the mother where her nest is supposed to be, that way future litters will not be born on the wire/outside the nest box.

4/20/2022
it appears that she did feed the kits on her own last night

Attachments

• IMG_3492[1].JPG
    IMG_3492[1].JPG
    93 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3493[1].JPG
    IMG_3493[1].JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3491[1].JPG
    IMG_3491[1].JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3489[1].JPG
    IMG_3489[1].JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 10
How did this turn out? Sorry you are having problems. What will you do with the doe?
3 out of 12 kits left. We went to visit relatives on the other side of the state the end of last month (the list were about 6 days old I believe) and while we were gone we were informed by our house/animal sitter that one of the kits had gotten out of the box and passed away do you hypothermia. The 3 remaining kits are doing very well, they are all frosted as well. There are two bucks and one doe.
The doe will get a second chance, I never get rid of first time mothers if there is a complication. They are still getting the hang of being a mom after all, so they may need a little more practice. Given that she did eventualy make a nest and pull fur, I think she will be a fine breeder with her next and future litters.

I had one doe who would always have her litter at least one if not two days before making a nest. So, when grooming her, I'd save the wool from her that wasn't good enough to make yarn and put that in her nest the day before she was due. She would usually add more wool the day after she had her litter, but at least they were warm for the first night in the old wool. She never did get the right sequence figured out, but her kits didn't have the same difficulty.

Back