thinking about getting 2 fiber angoras--need advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genghiskuhn

Reaction score
Dear Good People of the RabbitTalk Forum:

I am considering getting a pair of Giant angoras for some backyard/hobby fiber production. I am looking around at different housing options. It seems like wire cages are the easiest; I see some great pre-made cages that you can order from KW or Bass. Most of these premade cages seem like they are designed to stack, with removable pans. Does anyone have experience with these cages? I have also seen some stuff about hanging cages, which seem even easier (but I'm not sure how easily KW or bass stacking cages can be transformed into hanging cages).

I have a backyard shed I was considering keeping them in; I think a stacking cage would be best if they were in the shed. But I can also imagine building some kind of three-sided small wooden structure elsewhere in the yard with hanging cages. Do people have any thoughts about these two options? I am in central New York--fairly cool summers, but cold winters.

Thanks!!

Most wire cages will be easy to "hang" if your suport wires are attached well to all 4 corners..
I would recomend a very good "windbreak" situation for your shed [if it is open]..
and or adding very good ventilation grills [up high] if it is not..
Ventilation is a factor often missed by people new to rabbits [and some that aren't new]
Inflamation caused by amonia and methane buildup from urine and waste,
is the innitial cause of the majority respiratory infections.[including pasturella]
For most rabbits cold is not much of an issue as long as they are protected from the wind.
I add either deep bedding for solid bottom cages, or a box with an access hole,stuffed full of straw,
for rabbits when the temps are going to be low. [below 15 degrees F inside the rabbit house ]
I have successfully raised many a litter in the winter , when temps were well below 0...
I just make sure the nest box is dry, and the kits have plenty bedding and cover[rabbit hair] over them.

I had my hanging cages cut and shipped by Klubbertanz. They have a lovely catalog with TONS of options that can be viewed online. Baby saver wire, and gaw (galvanized after weld) are both very good options.
Doors you can get your shoulders in are an excellent choice too, as rabbits in general HATE being pulled through small openings. One of my requirements in a cage is to be able to easily reach every part.
I chose 24x48 inches because I have short arms and 30 inches deep is too much. That, and two 24x24 inch trays are easier for me to carry to the compost bin than a big 36x30.
You might not need the baby saver if you aren't ever going to be breeding, but if there is ever any chance of it in the future, you are gonna want it.

The cages were cut from their wire, and shipped flat. I assembled them with J clips at home. It wasn't the cheapest (nor the most expensive) option on the market, and there is often a bit of a wait in spring, but I've never once regretted it. Their quality is as good as any competitor in the US.

A Giant angora is usually over ten pounds if not up to twenty aren't they? Is that too heavy to be in a hanging cage? Can the floor support that amount of weight? Perhaps the cages could be set on hog panels which are either suspended or in a frame since hog panels are much sturdier wire? I think the holes on them are 6" x 6" which would support the wire hutches and still let things fall through.

That big and heavy, would you want them in a double layer hutch? Lifting a big rabbit up or down, other than the weight, it may have your face and the rabbit's back legs within reach of each other. Not that they'd purposely kick you, but accidents happen.

Also, with that size of rabbit, you'd probably want a bigger space for them. 30" to 36" deep by five feet by 30" tall? Angora rabbits live for years and years, it's not like a meat rabbit setup where they won't be in there very long.

Two girls could live together in one big space, although sometimes angoras like to lay on each other which squishes their fiber down a bit. If you have two bucks, if they're neutered, they then get along.

Have you tried spinning fiber from the different breeds of angoras?

hotzcatz

my sense is that they get 10-12 pounds, but I suppose it's possible they could be heavier! The cattle panels idea seems really smart though, I'll take that into consideration. I am now a little worried about cage size! but the ones I'm getting are still quite young (four months) and we'll just have to see how they grow. thank you for making me think more about these issues....

Fiber bunnies are bigger than just their pounds may suggest. Figure ten pounds of bunny surrounded by six inches of wool. Your rabbit could be up to twenty inches wide when full grown and in full coat. Of course, after shearing, you're back down to just an eight to ten inch wide bunny again, but they will just grow another coat. Ours get three haircuts a year, so there's always somebunny out there in full coat.

These are the small English angoras, a Giant will be twice this size or more.

suzie2017oct.jpg

suzie2017octb.jpg

groomsyd1.jpg

groomsyd2.jpg

grooming6.jpg

grooming2.jpg

And, not grooming them isn't an option if you want the bunny to survive. This is the last survivor from a group of six who was brought to me since 'the kids haven't been taking care of their pets'.
rescueangora.jpg

It took several hours to find the bunny in all that mess.
rescueangora2.jpg

Same bunny about a month later with a new coat partially grown in.
rescueangora3.jpg

With an angora, you've got way more than just the bunny to house. The coat can be bigger than the bunny itself. Starting with two is a good number, that will be good practice without being overwhelming.

It did survive, but I didn't give it back to them, either, although by that time their kids were over the pet bunny. I never let them see the bunny after it was groomed or they may have changed their mind.

They seem to have fewer mats in individual cages. I use a Worx electric leaf blower to give them a quick groom while they are still in the cage. It's much more efficient than trying to brush them.

A leaf blower sounds like a new trick! Isn't it pretty noisy, though? Do you show your angoras? Which breed are they?

It's noisy like a hair dryer. Works on battery so not as noisy as a gas blower. I have French Angoras just for pets.

Sounds like a good tool if it works, although how long does the battery last before it has to be charged up again? Do they have a version with a cord? Blowing out the coat instead of combing it seems like it would be faster.

Latest posts

Back