Stuffed Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been hesitant to try deboning a rabbit since I started raising them 2 1/2 yrs ago. I tried once before but it didn't turn out well :lol: :x Yesterday I decided to give it another go and was very pleased with the results. I used a sharp paring knife rather than the deboning knife I have and I think the shorter blade helped to give more control. I watched a youtube video and referenced it several times during. I think it took me about 30min to get the entire thing deboned :lol: but I know it will go quicker with practice. There was very little meat left on the bones when I was done.

I found several recipes for stuffed rabbit but nothing fit what I had on hand so I decided to just throw some things together and see how it went.

1 rabbit, deboned

Saute the following in olive oil:
onions
garlic
mushrooms
carrot
celery
lambsquarter (spinich sub) add toward the end
Sprinkle liberally with rosemary, salt, and pepper.

Salt and pepper the rabbit and layer deli ham slices, shredded cheese, and the sauted mixture. Roll the rabbit, trying to keep all the mixture inside :lol: If you have kitchen string use it. My presentation would have been much nicer if I had had string.

I added about 1 1/2 cups of homemade rabbit stock to the roasting pan (could have been less but my roasting pan is over sized for the job :lol:) and cooked at 325F with the lid on for 1hr.

The rabbit I used was a 13 week old that had rested in the fridge for 24 hrs. It would have been better if I had let it rest longer before cooking but the meat was fairly tender and moist just a bit chewier than I usually prefer. I could have cooked it a bit longer as well and probably achieved the same results but the kids were hungry.

It turned out well enough that hubby gave it a thumbs up. While he'll eat most anything, it's rare that something not fried gets a good review. :lol: :x

I will be doing this again and probably trying some variations.

Neat! I have wanted to try doing this too. I've seen the videos I think you are talking about. The guy who debones a large rabbit in several minutes...
The only deboning I usually do is the hind legs. High meat to bone ratio makes it seem worthwhile. Maybe I'll try stuffing the hind legs...

Yes, the guy deboning the rabbit makes it look super easy. I think he was actually going slow and taking his time for the video. I think he may have done a few. :rotfl:

I meant to link to the video and forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ud68Qmdyc

You should try deboning the loins as well. I've been doing that for quite a while and I think the practice on those helped. My standard practice has been to remove the legs and the belly flaps and debone the loins and bag the like pieces together for meals. I generally grind the belly flaps and I make stock out of the rest of the carcass. The front legs work great for soups and I use the loins like chicken breast.

After this successful deboing, I will be bagging more of my rabbits whole.

Yeah I am envious of that guy!
I do much of the same re: processing. Grind belly flaps once I have several pounds, front legs for soups/stews. I have deboned the saddles before and but I tend to just chop them in half (cross wise). My kids (4 and 2 yo) prefer everything deboned/ground...

If you remove the front legs first, you can get a pretty good swipe at the loin and remove it all the way up to the neck. Once you get it started pretty good around the hips, many times, you can just pull the rest out.

My kids love it when I make popcorn rabbit from the loins.

Is it bad I am still figuring out where all the meat hides on a rabbit? :oops: :lol: I boiled and cleaned one yesterday for a "quick" (ha!) cabbage salad that called fo chicken. Took me a LONG time to get the meat off, and I am sure there was still some left.

I have watched the deboning video - absolutely fascinating. I love watching people work when they are skilled in what they do - whether it's my husband shaving, someone putting on makeup (so not my thing), FIL laying brick, whatever... it's mesmerizing.

That deboning video is great, but where are, for example, the collarbones (always have a hard time not overlooking these) gone?

Anyway, I must try this, looks a great deal less work than cooking and picking every morsel off, and such a piece of meat offers a lot of opportunities. :p

I wondered about that too. I just assumed they were cut away previously along with the neck and the sternum since it's not present either. I though maybe commercially prepared rabbits had those removed. I've never had rabbit I didn't butcher myself so didn't have a clue. :lol:

We're getting a tad bit off topic but ... what knife is your favorite deboning knife? I'm currently using my handy-dandy skinning knife (Havalon Piranta-EDGE) and it works exceedingly well for the processing of the bun, I'd like something else for the deboning so I'm mulling about trying find one that won't break the bank.

2CrazyFools":3vc8955f said:
We're getting a tad bit off topic but ... what knife is your favorite deboning knife? I'm currently using my handy-dandy skinning knife (Havalon Piranta-EDGE) and it works exceedingly well for the processing of the bun, I'd like something else for the deboning so I'm mulling about trying find one that won't break the bank.

Sorry I missed this, I just happened to see it while I was perusing the recipes.

This is the one I use and I really like it. However, it's almost doubled in price since I purchased it. I think I only paid $14 for it...Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Flexible Blade

Back