Recipes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt , pepper , lemon ..... into the BBQ pit.

That was lunch today.

wamplercathy":2wcxb7sr said:
Some pictures would "kick this thread up a notch". :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

13202_1074394079244360_6140577950364867347_n.jpg

ramblingrabbit":2wcxb7sr said:
JulieCunicole":2wcxb7sr said:
Truckinguy":2wcxb7sr said:
Any suggestions on how to cook up the organs... heart, kidneys, liver?

I give the heart and kidneys to my chickens while I'm processing the bunnies.

:shock: Aaaah, nooooooo! :lol:

The organs of the rabbits are actually quite prized in our house. Liver, kidneys, and heart--we usually chop and saute them up quickly in butter with some caramelized onions, some herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley, and some salt and lots of pepper. Great with hot buttered toast!

I consider rabbit kind of like "organ meats, lite." They are tender and have a wonderful, mild flavor, that is similar to but not as strong as, say, pork liver or kidneys.

And of course the organ meats are in many ways the most nutritious part of an animal. It's really a shame more people these days don't give 'em a chance IMO. :)

Three years into this rabbit raising / eating process & I have yet to taste the kidneys or liver .... I did keep all of those parts from the last batch I butchered & have every intention of trying them. Soon.

I might have over done it on the seasoning. :oops: Or that's what my hubby is telling me. Because it tasty just like my chicken. :oops: Think I'll cut back next time. But the kids aren't going to know the difference :twisted:

008 (400x300).jpg
009 (400x300).jpg
010 (400x300).jpg

Tomorrow I'll plug the crock pot in and allow it to cook a little longer so it's good and hot for dinner. :wr_bottle: :wr_kabob:

wamplercathy":2hclft4x said:
I might have over done it on the seasoning. :oops: Or that's what my hubby is telling me. Because it tasty just like my chicken. :oops: Think I'll cut back next time. But the kids aren't going to know the difference :twisted:

Rabbit is delicate in flavor, I don't salt at all..If you use a seasoning with salt already use sparingly...also a pinch or two of sugar will counteract the saltiness :D ..

The pulled rabbit was a huge hit at dinner. It seems that only my husband thinks it was over seasoned. Everyone else loved it, and he had double helpings. :p :lol: :lol:

Here's a link to my new (well, somewhat new) favorite rab recipe. The kalamata-feta combination is just awesome, and the herbal dry marinade and citrus adds the perfect complexity. It's a little bit of hands-on recipe, but it doesn't take long to whip up.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016 ... s-and-feta

I don't understand the cooking times they give though for roasting, that's always baffled us--had I followed the given times exactly, the rabbit would still be raw and bloody in the middle. I've always roasted everything about twice as long as in the directions, and it comes out perfect--just cooked through, but still juicy and moist. Of course, ovens vary... You'll can always stick a knife in one of the thigh pieces near the hip bone to be sure before serving it up.

Depending on my schedule, I have also rubbed the herbs on in the AM and let it sit in the fridge all day. Also, after burning the wine once while trying to reduce it I now skip that step and just use slightly less wine (it's nice, but there's still plenty of bold flavors without the extra step). I've also substituted oranges and limes for the lemon--you still get that nice citrus fragrance and zest regardless.

It's killer served with pasta too!

So I tried the livers & kidneys the other day .... yeah , they are fantastic. I'll be hording them for myself.

Grilled Bunny. :dinner:
004 (500x375).jpg
Just butchered yesterday afternoon. Nothing like fresh meat on the table. :p :lol: :lol: Grilled up a couple of pork steaks also. Just used the same rub on both. Yum.

Rabbit Stew! :chef:

Never cooked with Parsnips before but this was really good. If using salt pork (6 pieces) it will taste pretty salty until you put the potatoes and mushrooms in at the end.

Ingredients:
• 2 rabbits (cleaned, dry & quartered)
• 5 tbsp salt pork fat or veg oil
• 1 lg onion, chopped
• 2 minced garlic cloves
• 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 4 cups beef broth (or water)
• 2 lg celery sticks, diced
• 4 lg carrots, diced
• 2 lg parsnips, diced
• 1 sm turnip, cubed
• 6 med potatoes, cubed
• Salt & pepper
• 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
Method
In a stewing pot, med-high heat, sauté rabbit (both sides) in pork fat until lightly brown (fry in small batches). Remove and set aside.
Lower to med heat, add onion and garlic, continue cooking until onion becomes golden brown (approx 5 minutes). Add flour and continue cooking over high heat until mixture or roux is slightly brown and bubbling (4-5 minutes).
Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Stir until liquid thickens. Season to taste. Return rabbit to pot and cover, simmer for 1½ hours. Add celery, carrot, parsnip, turnip, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add potatoes mushrooms and cook for another 15 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Serve stew with fresh homemade crusty bread.

Here's a pdf copy if you want to print it.
View attachment Rabbit Stew.pdf

:chef: I made rabbit quesadilla the other night and boy were they were tasty.

009 (500x375).jpg
012 (500x375).jpg
011 (500x375).jpg

Ingredients:
1-5lb rabbit
3pks of taco seasoning
Flour tortillas
Your favorite shredded cheese.

Cook rabbit in the cook pot in water and taco seasoning for 5 hours. De-bone and shred meat. Allow to cook another hour or so. Place shredded meat and cheese in tortilla and grill till crispy. Eat and enjoy. Added tomato to hubby's and lettuce and fresh tomatoes to mine. :dinner:

Well in true fat kid style......Here I am with another one. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ground up an older doe into burger and made Tacos. Yum Yum.
Rabbit Tacos.jpg
A couple tablespoons of olive oil and then taco seasoning packages and made it just like I would turkey burger.

And more grilled rabbit:
Grilled rabbit.jpg
Homemade pork rub. Then we played the "which is rabbit" game with the family. :twisted: <br /><br /> __________ Sun May 22, 2016 3:13 pm __________ <br /><br /> :dinner: Fried Rabbit and Livers.
Coating.jpg
Fryed Rabbit 2.jpg
livers.jpg

2 rabbits and all the livers, kidneys, and hearts from the months butchering. Unknown number, but about 6lbs worth. :p :lol: :lol:

Coating:
4c Flour
1/2 c Cajun Seasoning
1/3c Season Salt
1T Garlic Powder
1t Onion Powder
1/2t White Pepper

wamplercathy":1c3tis26 said:
:chef: I made rabbit quesadilla the other night and boy were they were tasty.

View attachment 1
View attachment 2

Ingredients:
1-5lb rabbit
3pks of taco seasoning
Flour tortillas
Your favorite shredded cheese.

Cook rabbit in the cook pot in water and taco seasoning for 5 hours. De-bone and shred meat. Allow to cook another hour or so. Place shredded meat and cheese in tortilla and grill till crispy. Eat and enjoy. Added tomato to hubby's and lettuce and fresh tomatoes to mine. :dinner:

I tried this the other day and loved it! I'm going to make it again tomorrow. I didn't have any seasoning packets so I used a recipe for fajitas seasonings and doubled it. It worked great.

When we grill or fry rabbit we don't use the front legs or ribs, but I hate wasting anything so I put these "Extras" in a freezer bag and when I have enough I make them in to rabbit soup or rabbit dumplings.

Rabbit Soup/Dumplings:
"Extras" from about 5 rabbits (boiled till fall off the bone ready, then debone)
3 stocks of celery
1/2 onion
1/2 bag of baby carrots cut up
2 cans of green beans (fresh is better if you have them)
2 can of corn (fresh/frozen work great too)
3 tomatoes pealed and quartered (canned works too)
And the cheat :p :lol: :lol: Chicken stock or bullion cubes
This makes a huge pot for a family of 3 so we freeze leftovers in butter bowls (redneck tupperware)

Dumpings:
4c all purpose flour
1ts powder garlic
1/2ts powder onion
1ts pepper
1ts cajun seasoning
1/2c or so of water
Mix till the consistency of biscuit dough.
Roll out to a thickness of 1/4''
Cut into 2''x1/2'' lengths
Sit to the side to dry for a few hours. I usually make mine in the morning and leave out all day on a drying rack (aka: my dehydrator shelves) with a towel over them.

Add dumplings to soup and cook for about 30mins or al dente.

Rabbit and Dumplings.jpg
This in one butter bowl of soup from the freezer and only a fraction of the dumplings.
Homemade Rolls.jpg
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6788/amish-white-bread/

In stead of placing in loaf pans to raise I roll in to balls and place in a casserole or baking pan.

***As a side note, measurements are approximate. I normally never measure when cooking soups. I just season to my taste for that day. :oops: :lol: :lol: ***

I'm going to have to try that dumpling recipe. I usually just use a biscuit recipe because that is the way my mother-in-law has always done it (she actually uses refrigerated biscuits), but your recipe sounds really good. Even if it is good folks around here may not like it cause "That's not the way Granny does it!". :lol: :lol:

:p :lol: :lol: :lol: I know what your saying. The seasoning is what my household likes. My mothers receipt is a little different but it was made to make dad happy. It was good but I like the extra kick of the cajun in the noodles.

__________ Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:52 pm __________

I tried my hand at making Easy Garlic "Chicken". :p I have tried this recipe twice now and still haven't gotten it perfect. But I wanted to try it on rabbit.

So,
Easy Garlic Rabbit RT.jpg

Got the recipe off of pinterest: http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-garlic-chicken-5478

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or rabbit)
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450°F Line a baking dish or cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil.
In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Add additional herbs and spices as desired.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. .Place breasts in a prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
Bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm __________ <br /><br /> Biscuits and gravy (rabbit style)! :p :dinner:

1 pk of white gravy
1 pound of rabbit sausage

biscuits and rabbit sausage.jpg

Latest posts

Back