rabbit in white wine cream sauce

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
This recipe can either be made in the crock pot or on the stove, depending on desired cooking time. I love the last time I did it in the crock pot with an older rabbit, though with younger ones I've always just done it on the stove.

What you need:
1-2 rabbits (about 4 lbs of meat on the bone) cut into quarters
4 (or more) cloves of garlic
1 12.7 (or similar sized) bottle of white wine
2 cups chicken or rabbit stock
1 pint cream
flour
salt and pepper to taste

Put the rabbit pieces in the crock pot or in a large pot on the stove with the garlic.
Cover with the white wine and stock, you can add a little more stock if needed to cover. If you need a lot more, up the amount of wine as well so the proportions stay about the same.
On the stove, bring to a boil and them turn down to a simmer for about an hour, or until you can easily shred the meat of the bones. In a crock pot simply cook for 4 or more hours, as long as it takes for meat to get tender.
Remove the meat and shred it from the bones and place to the side. (Discard the bones or save for stock later)
(If using a crock pot, move the liquid to a pot on the stove and simmer)
Reduce the liquid slightly and whisk in the cream.
Whisk in flour slowly until the sauce is your desired consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the shredded rabbit back into the sauce and serve over rice, pasta, or whatever other grain you choose.

Hopefully that wasn't too complicated and can bring others enjoyment. I know this so far is my favorite way of cooking rabbit and it works with both young and old rabbits, plus can be paired with any grain. Hope you all like it!

Whoops! I meant to put this in the recipe forum. Could someone move it or show me how if I can?

Sounds yummy! :p

Are you allowed to sample a bit of the wine just to check if it has the appropriate flavor? :mrgreen:

DarayTala":3pwxvppm said:
Whoops! I meant to put this in the recipe forum. Could someone move it or show me how if I can?

Your wish is my command! :wizard:

Are you allowed to sample a bit of the wine just to check if it has the appropriate flavor? :mrgreen:

Why of course! How else would you know if it was good enough to use? :D

mystang89":gs2zrfx5 said:
What kind of cream do you use? Cream cheese?

Heavy cream. You can get it at any grocery store- it will be near the milk.

IMG_7270.JPG

I'm glad you asked... guess what we will be having for dinner tonight? :dinner:<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:38 pm __________<br /><br />We don't have any white wine at present, only Cabernet and Merlot... but we do have champagne! :p

So tonight's entree will be Rabbit in Champagne sauce.

The best part of all? There is about a half bottle left.

Can you guess what Hubs and I are enjoying right now? :mrgreen:

IMG_7271.JPG

mystang89":2tslihuk said:
Something's wrong with those pictures...

Yeah! When I added to the post they got reconfigured and no longer made sense! I tried to fix it, but I couldn't. :(

mystang89":2tslihuk said:
...the glass's aren't empty!

They are now! :mrgreen:

Mmmm, how did champagne work out? I'm going to have to experiment with different types of wine now!

DarayTala":37dolxze said:
Mmmm, how did champagne work out?

It was wonderful! :D I added some sauteed onion and yellow bell pepper to the sauce also.

We had some leftovers, and another rabbit-eating family came over last night and we had it along with some cabbage soup and bread. They loved it too and want the recipe. :)

Latest posts

Back