Register

Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 55.00

Re: Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Post Number:#151  Unread postby Tagcon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Are the black or dark purple mulberrys trees safe to feed. Its probably already been discussed but I can't find anything on the colored ones.
Terry

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,179.00

Post Number:#152  Unread postby ramblingrabbit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Tagcon wrote:Are the black or dark purple mulberrys trees safe to feed. Its probably already been discussed but I can't find anything on the colored ones.
Terry

None of the information I've seen distinguishes between any of the mulberry species (genus "Morus")--suggesting they're all safe and equally nutritious. Everything I've seen so far always just refers to "Morus spp." For example: http://www.pjbs.org/pjnonline/fin312.pdf

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#153  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm

ramblingrabbit wrote:
Tagcon wrote:Are the black or dark purple mulberrys trees safe to feed. Its probably already been discussed but I can't find anything on the colored ones.
Terry

None of the information I've seen distinguishes between any of the mulberry species (genus "Morus")--suggesting they're all safe and equally nutritious. Everything I've seen so far always just refers to "Morus spp." For example: http://www.pjbs.org/pjnonline/fin312.pdf

As far as I know, RamblingRabbit is correct... but you cannot expect us to know what mulberry you are referring to. You need to google it to find the Latin name and then ask us about safety once you have identified it.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 142.00

Post Number:#154  Unread postby tomfc2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:29 pm

anyone know if sweetcorn plants are good for bunnies? I have picked out my plot of sweetcorn and the plants dried up all nice in the sun, is it worth my time to cut them and stack them in the shed for winter feed? or should I rotor-till them under?
We have a ceramic studio located in the depths of central Wisconsin USA, www.whiteriverpottery.com. as I am in to pottery our rabbitary is "The Ceramic Rabbit" concentrating on raising Giant Chinchilla Rabbits.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Male

Post Number:#155  Unread postby ramblingrabbit » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 pm

tomfc2 wrote:anyone know if sweetcorn plants are good for bunnies? I have picked out my plot of sweetcorn and the plants dried up all nice in the sun, is it worth my time to cut them and stack them in the shed for winter feed? or should I rotor-till them under?

Interesting synchronicity--I just started feeding some of my sweetcorn plants to my herd. I've talked to people who feed sweetcorn plants to cows. And since it's basically a grass, I can't imagine any reason it would be harmful. Except for the sugar content--I've noticed sweetcorn plants themselves are quite SWEET (try taking a bite of the leaves or stems). Which suggests to me that it should be incorporated with moderate caution--although the high water and fiber content should help offset that some, I should think. Even so, I attempt to go light on carbohydrate rations (roots and whatnot) with feedings incorporating sweetcorn plants.

I hope somebody with more experience can advise you too and maybe shed some more light on this--I'd be curious as well... :)

BunnyBucks: 142.00

Post Number:#156  Unread postby tomfc2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm

thanks I am feeding pellets and marsh hay (bailed grass) along with garden waste, and trying to figure out how much of the garden can be dried in this hot sun we are having, and stored for bunny's varied diet this winter. so far all my watermelon, squash, and pumpkin vines can be dried by throwing them over the fence to hang and as they will be in direct sun I am sure that there will be no mold as they are thick and fleshy and would dry slowly inside, I would be concerned that they would mold if dried in our shed. I also go through the vines and remove any dead leaves or vine pieces.

I am just getting in to meat rabbits for our family we just have 2 buck and 2 does, of the Giant Chinchilla breed, I bought bunnies from the breeders who showed at the Wisconsin State Rabbit Breeders Association show, to make sure I was getting good quality bunnies even if the one pair only took 2nd place :shock: they costed us a decent penny but I hope they will return the investment.
We have a ceramic studio located in the depths of central Wisconsin USA, www.whiteriverpottery.com. as I am in to pottery our rabbitary is "The Ceramic Rabbit" concentrating on raising Giant Chinchilla Rabbits.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 267.00

Post Number:#157  Unread postby Kayla@LWR » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:54 pm

This is really helpful!! :)

Female
BunnyBucks: 90.00

Post Number:#158  Unread postby Missy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Anyone know if oats with their hulls intact would be okay?

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#159  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:14 am

Missy, oats with the hulls intact are fine, but some rabbits don't like them. The ones that do just leave the hulls behind and it can look like the oats are still in the bowl.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Missy

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 13,198.00

Post Number:#160  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 am

I feed whole oats sometimes, I have seen no problems with feeding them [as long as they also have hay to provide the fiber they need with them, as oats are kind of rich, and low on fiber]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
DogCatMom, Missy

Canada
BunnyBucks: 10.00

Post Number:#161  Unread postby GoldenApple » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 pm

I've searrched through Google as well as on this forum and couldn't find an answer, so thought I'd ask here... Are Caragana trimmings safe to feed to rabbits? Latin name caragana arborescens. We have tons of them around the farm here and we usually cut them back every fall - so I'm wondering if I can give the branches to the rabbits.
Thanks!

Male

Post Number:#162  Unread postby ramblingrabbit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Have you seen this? Although it doesn't mention feeding leaves to rabbits specifically, only other herbivores.

Says the seeds are a great poultry feed as well as a human food source. It also has lots of other uses, apparently...

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duk ... scens.html

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#163  Unread postby BethC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:28 pm

This may seem a silly question, and I havent finished reading this forum so sorry if its a repeat but does anyone know if thistle sprouts are bad for rabbits?

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 13,198.00

Post Number:#164  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:45 pm

I feed young thistles to my rabbits, when I weed the garden, [and eat the root myself]-- but-- I have no idea if they are OK, and just because I get away with it should not be an taken as an endorsement.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#165  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 am

I remember Miss M posting that she feeds thistles to her rabbits and they love them. I don't know if all types of thistles are safe or not.

happy-st-patrick-s-day-from-green-bunny-lips-t20496.html
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

PreviousNext