Feeds to enhance milk production

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I've seen mention of plants and herbs to feed to increase milk supply, but is it all in any one place? I am unsure if my doe is producing enough milk. Once the kits latch on they seem satisfied, not seeking out other teats or anything, but they don't get really round bellies either.

I seem to recall raspberry leaf is good- does that apply to other brambles? We have boysenberries.

I don't know about boysenberry... you should google it, preferably by Latin name.

I like this website for herbal information for rabbits. It mentions goat's rue, fennel and fenugreek for supporting lactation. There are likely other herbs too. Two Hunnyz is a member, although she rarely posts.

http://twohunnyzrabbitry.webs.com/herbinformation.htm

I've never tried these herbs... but I know Two Hunnyz uses them.

Thanks, Maggie! 3rd plant listed is Borage, greatly increases milk production, and I have it! Whoo-hoo! Will read the rest of the list later, gonna go pick that bun some leaves.

The best green of all IMHO is one of the cabbage family BUT with a big proviso. Your doe has to be used to eating it. It has to be introduced slowly till the proper intestinal bacteria are thriving to digest it or she will get gas and that's always bad news. The reason I like the cabbage family is that they are high in both calcium and proteins with enough sugars to keep her from getting thin.
Mature red clover with enough stems to provide fiber is almost a good without the likelihood of intestinal upset.

I have yet to try cabbage on any of my rabbits because of the gas issue.

When you guys talk about red clover, are you speaking of the wild one that has burgundy colored leaves and tiny yellow flowers? Mine grows in partial shade to shade.
IMG_4712.JPG

No that's oxalis. It's bad for rabbits even though they will eat it. The oxalic acid in it can build up in the kidneys.
Red clover has large green leaves and long stems. It can grow to three feet high. It's the red color of the flowers that gives it the name red clover.

MamaSheepdog":lxl69qpv said:
I've seen mention of plants and herbs to feed to increase milk supply, but is it all in any one place? I am unsure if my doe is producing enough milk. Once the kits latch on they seem satisfied, not seeking out other teats or anything, but they don't get really round bellies either.

I seem to recall raspberry leaf is good- does that apply to other brambles? We have boysenberries.

Not this bramble :lol:

Since it was recommended to me when I posted with a litter of 12 when I was getting started with rabbits again this time, I feed whole oats, a tablespoon or two in the mornings to all my nursing does. I feed more once the kits are out of the nest box since they love it too. Don't know if it helps or not since I always do it. But I haven't any question that they were getting enough. The kits all seem fat and growing.

Ah- "red" flowers. Makem sensem now. :indian: I have a canister of white clover seed that I bought for planting around my grapevines, etc. I'll check the Latin name.

Good to know about the boysenberry- the buns will be happy. :)

MamaSheepdog":18x3s472 said:
Ah- "red" flowers. Makem sensem now. :indian: I have a canister of white clover seed that I bought for planting around my grapevines, etc. I'll check the Latin name.

Good to know about the boysenberry- the buns will be happy. :)
White clover is excellent and wild rabbits feed on it extensively but it's a small plant and tedious to gather enough for a feeding.

My white clover gets a good six inches tall, with leaves larger than a quarter.

White certainly looks tedious to gather, but I've found that by cropping it by the handful it adds up surprising quickly. It regenerates very fast too. This fall I was gathering from the same patch about three times a week. I intend to plant more this year, wherever our "lawn" is thin.

Stinging nettle is a most amazing plant, second only in nutritional value to the equally-maligned dandelion. It is especially noted for its abilities to boost milk production in mammals (humans, too) and egg production in poultry. Seeds are available in many catalogs for those who have garden space. I harvest, however, from wild stands in early spring, drying and storing the hay for feeding throughout the year (must be stored airtight to prevent mold). My rabbits come unglued when they see me coming with it... even turning away from carrots. From personal experience, nettle hay makes an extrordinary difference in lactating does. One cautionary note: :!: nettle must be introduced about 1 week AFTER kindling and gradually even at that. Personally, I keep a special stash (mixed with peppermint) for making a delicious winter tea. Google for details and images - you'll be amazed.

How true, Caroline; protective clothing and heavy vinyl gloves are essential for harvesting - and even then, count on coming home with a sting or two, but it's worth it. Nutrient-wise, it's important to harvest before the plant blooms. Nettle will sport flower buds for quite some time before they actually bloom so it takes close inspection to know when the season has ended.

HARVEST DETAILS: I grab a bunch of stalks near the ground and cut with scissors or pruning shears tossing in piles as I work through a patch. Then I load the piles into large leaf bags to carry home (having a friend helps). As soon as possible, I rubberband together the ends of 8-10-12 stalks (depends on the thickness), then I force a large paperclip (pryed open a bit) through the rubberband to serve as a hook for hanging each bunch from wire stretched overhead across the garage. Be careful not to crowd bunches as it encourages mold. Drying time will depend on temperature and humidity levels; usually 10 - 14 days in my area. Once crispy dry, the stalks should be to stored away from heat and moisture. The rabbits will readily eat the entire stalk, leaves and all...even eating the crumbs from my hand. Fortunately, the oil - so painful when injected by the plant's "hair" - is rendered harmless through drying. BTW, the aroma of curing nettles is divine!

I'll have to harvest some of our nettles this year. I question, though, storing them in air-tight packaging. Unless they are bone dry, they would mould very quickly with no air circulation. Perhaps, however, your procedure is due the extreme humidity in your area? I store my dried greens in large mesh onion and orange bags and it seems to work very well.

Back