Dead kit stuck, can use some good luck...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

My buck managed to escape, and I wasn't sure if he got one of my retired does, so after 34 days and no sign of pregnancys or any nesting I thought it was a near miss.
Nope, it wasn't. Today morning I found my 7yo Red with a kit dangling out, already ripped as she must have tried to pull it out. Panic read on the internet and tried to get it out by warming her vent area up and using oil - no way, the head was stuck in the hip. No contractions or anything. Also, there already was a pretty sour smell :(.

I know her chances of making it out of that alive are really slim, but I made an emergency appointment with my vet anyway, they were not any more successful in extracting the kit than I was and did surgery right away. Well, after pointing out that there isn't much hope, but I rather take the chance than putting her down without trying.
Just got a call that she survived the surgery so far, and they want to keep her there until she wakes up. So, there's some hope.
Would be a shame if her room mate, my 9yo black Fury, would have to live alone.

With rabbits way in the gray zone between pets and lifestock things get to me more than they should, I reckon.

Attachments

• Red and Fury 2020.jpg
    Red and Fury 2020.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 177
-- Sat Apr 17, 2021 --

Well, she's home and still alive, even started to munch some yarrow and dandelions :).

Ok. Next 5 days she gets Baytril, and Metacam for some days too, in 10 days the stitches get removed. Stays in my kitchen for tonight, lets see how it goes tomorrow. Good girl.

-- Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:29 pm --

Still alive, and eating on her own. I still syringe water and a little food to go with the antibiotics and painkillers, but so far she does good. Isn't out of the woods though.

Vet just called (on Sunday! They had not open yesterday either, but responded to the call :SOSSOS: ) to ask how she's doing, nice thing to do, still not overly optimistic since she had developed quite severe peritonitis, we'll see if the Baytril takes care of this. Never had a bunny take up such a fight when syringe feeding or giving meds.

Had her in my kitchen through the night, now she's out in the hutch with Fury, get's groomed and they snuggle up, and when one starts eating that'S an incentive for the other one too, greed is a great thing. Will spend the night indoors again since it gets still below freezing and her whole belly is shaved.

Costs.., well, it's just money, I have enough with that to spare, and it's all relative: my sisters dog got attacked on the leash by another dog, just the first surgeries did cost 10 times that of this emergency. <br /><br /> -- Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm -- <br /><br /> Update :)

She's back to normal, she now even accepts being pet for some time, before she simply hated being touched :D
Got the stitches removed yesterday. Brought the vet some choclates to thank for the effort, I think that made her day :)

Yay! Such a happy story! I’m glad I came in late and wasn’t sitting here in stomachbknots for too long! So glad your bun is on the mend and doing well!!

Latest posts

Back