rabbits wasting hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
Is it normal for rabbits to waste a lot of hay? I'm new to raising rabbits but it seems like I'll fill their hay mangers only to come in a few hours later and find about 1/3 of it on the floor under their cages. Is this normal, or is it a problem with my hay mangers not holding it properly.
Also, I do know that one of my bucks, who is a temperamental little shit head, throws his hay around his cage.

Any suggestions?

Rabbits are wasteful creatures. If I feed them hay cubes, they seem to waste less. Mine waste just as much with hay holders and just throwing the hay in there on the bottom of the cage.
Your buck just sounds bored, like he's playing around

Most rabbits are just messy. For the buck, you could try taking a handful of hay, twisting it, and tying it with twine in the middle. My sisters rabbit loves that, he tosses it around and chews the hay. Or putting hay in a toilet paper tube. He'll still probably mess but he might have fun with it.

Yep.... mine too... thankfully I get hay cheap/free and have my rabbits outdoors so I try to look at the bright side - it's nice ground cover for blocking weeds :lol: . Not sure how your set up is, but could you put a small container under the racks to catch the stuff that falls out? It would have to be anchored, but might save at least some of it. I have started just throwing a handful in the cage - they like to burrow and dig in it.

I noticed mine played with their hay more when bored then when gave something else to chew and throw, I gave them all Maple branches *After making sure it's ok* and the gnaw on them and then toss it around, they think it's absolutely great.

We make our own hay for the goats and rabbits, so we know what's in it and don't have to buy it. The hay feeders are kept full on all the cages. We don't feed pellets so instead of getting a concentrate they eat up quickly, our rabbits have a variety of weeds, grains, roots, twigs etc. to eat every day. I wonder if they are less bored although that is not why we decided to feed this way.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Our hay is local and pretty cheap since we live in a ranching town, but I still hate things being wasted.

My solution ended up being to place these ceramic tile pieces under the hay mangers, it seems to catch most of what falls out, and they're heavy enough that the rabbits shouldn't move them. As for my buck, i stayed throwing willow sticks in there and they keep him fairly busy

It seems to me that there are 2 things to consider: Making more available than they can eat, and providing something that the rabbit does not consider food.

I have 2 holders for grass and hay, one for short or tangled commercial hay and one for long pieces. Last summer I fed fresh grass and tried to keep a good supply. The rabbits would eat from the holder and a bit from what they pulled onto the cage floor but it would build up on the floor while they ask for more. As fresh grass became scarce and there were many brown tips, I would provide some on the tiled kitchen floor and every green bit would be eaten. I have just finished reintroducing fresh grass and when I provide less than what is wanted, whether on the kitchen floor or in the holder, nearly all of the green is eaten. Over the winter I fed commercial hay, some I made, and some silage I made along with a measured (limited) amount of commercial pellets. All of mine was completely eaten but a substantial part of the purchased hay was not. I would delay adding more hay to get them to clean up what they pulled onto the ground. Most would be eaten without complaint but then they would become agitated, hunting vigorously through the house for bits of food and begging vigorously from me while leaving much. (This was not accompanied by weight loss, so maybe they would have eaten more if I persisted.) I tried to see the difference between what they eat and what they reject but I can’t. To me it smells and looks good and I see them eating what looks like the same thing. Looking for mold using fluorescence from 366 nm illumination, I see no difference between the new and rejected hay. As to my hay, it was cut in mid summer from a open field and dried at room temperature with continuously flowing air to a equilibrium relative humidity of 37% then put into a plastic bag which is kept sealed.

LittleFluffyBunnies":1cxhnmjl said:
Most rabbits are just messy. For the buck, you could try taking a handful of hay, twisting it, and tying it with twine in the middle. My sisters rabbit loves that, he tosses it around and chews the hay. Or putting hay in a toilet paper tube. He'll still probably mess but he might have fun with it.

I tie these into the top of the cage so the rabbits have to get on the hind legs to reach them. They waste a lot less that way and it is good to eat, but not convenient for play.

HayHolder.jpgNow that mine are over a year old and on fresh food plus manufactured pellets, I have to limit supply to avoid excess weight and there is absolutely no waste. I do keep Kaytee timothy hay (their least favorite) in one holder as a precaution against under feeding but no significant waste (remembering that not all of the hay is edible). Here is a photo of my hay holder.

I'm considering switching from loose hay to Alfalfa cubes. How many cubes per rabbit/day do you recommend? I'm considering reducing slightly the pellets as I'm noticing some weight gain, even in these cold subzero evenings. Thanks

I'm considering switching from loose hay to Alfalfa cubes. How many cubes per rabbit/day do you recommend? I'm considering reducing slightly the pellets as I'm noticing some weight gain, even in these cold subzero evenings. Thanks
At Walmart you can find mini haybales for animals like rabbits

I'm with you on the hay waste. Have you tried a hay rack hung on the cage? When I did that the hay waste went way down.
In to the cubes, I feed my adults like a 1/2 in piece twice a week for a change. Its alfalfa and Timothy cubes. My kits when in separate cage growing out I give them as much as they can eat. I do still supply my adult rabbit with a good coastal hay.
Weight gain, what % are you feeding? I feed 18% to pregnant does, lactating does, and grow out kits. Once I separate the kits & doe at 8 weeks and if not rebreed doe will go to a 16%. My bucks and non bred rabbits are all on 16% protein pellets. If some are over weight I cut their ration.
Keep in mind alfalfa is high in fat and could have the opposite effect you are looking for. Also , alfalfa is not recommended for adult rabbit. I just give it to them as a treat and to help keep teeth in shape.

Is it normal for rabbits to waste a lot of hay? I'm new to raising rabbits but it seems like I'll fill their hay mangers only to come in a few hours later and find about 1/3 of it on the floor under their cages. Is this normal, or is it a problem with my hay mangers not holding it properly.
Also, I do know that one of my bucks, who is a temperamental little shit head, throws his hay around his cage.

Any suggestions?

I have tried hay racks, stuffing it in cardboard tubes, etc.. this year I have run out of hay this month. The bunch it, spread it out, lay on it, so my waste pile is high Outside the rabbit barn. I may try hanging it with twine or flexible wire. Since 2014 when I started my rabbitry its been a problem. I have to say since I fenced in a play and forage area-outside and added one on the inside I am hopeful.

I use hay cubes with my rabbits to help with the hay waste. I still do feed some loose hay daily (about as much as they can clean up without leaving it all over the cage to fall through the floor), but I always have the hay cubes in there for them. My pellets are alfalfa based, so I was concerned the hay cubes (alfalfa/timothy blend) might put too much alfalfa in their diet. I would have preferred a straight timothy cube. But, giving them the cubes does reduce the amount of pellets they consume daily, replacing it with an alfalfa/timothy mix instead. So it does reduce the amount of alfalfa they are getting overall.

Back