Being FLAGGED by the PETA police

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I live in a part of the country often labeled as

Left coast
crunchy
surfers
blond
gourmets of the "In-N-Out" variety
and CHILL

Well, I will own the crunchy, and am complaining about the NON-CHILL breed of people who seem to scan the CL ads so they can flag and remove ANY mention of "rabbits" because they somehow believe that their opposition to eating, raising, having, talking about, or offering healthy meat is immoral, or at least unacceptable, to them and thus, by their definition, to EVERYONE.

So this morning, I had fun recreating My Standard Rex Rabbit ad and posting the following (without mentioning the word RABBIT anywhere):

FOOD SECURITY & JOY!
If you want to have an AMAZING garden, and delicious, easy to raise meat. I can share my method & my JOY in how I have done that.
I will not be mentioning the name of the creature that provides the INSTANT MANURE that I fill my prolific garden beds with because the NAME if their FAMILY seems to trigger an immediate reaction of intolerance and righteousness from certain self-appointed CL police. They seem unable to resist flagging my post & having it removed, even though, what I am offering is in the category of “permitted livestock” and is humanely raised and lovingly cared for.
The dictionary definition of this amazing food security magician is
a soft-furred, large-eared burrowing mammals in the order Lagomorpha, having a divided upper lip and long hind legs.
The ones that I have available come in a beautiful array of colors all the way from white to black, as well as spotted, striped, multi-colored, harlequined & magpied.
I have a variety of ages and both genders available now.
For those of you able to see through this and interested in seeing pictures and receiving the care sheet and safe pickup protocol that I have available, please let me know what your goals & interests are and I will get back to you with pictures and information, so that you too can have this wonderful life.
Oh, and BTW, these permitted livestock are known as THE KING of their particular family, in LATIN:)
The potential mommas are $70.00
The potential pappas are $30.00
small artichoke blooms 2.jpgsmall kale and artichoke beds.jpgsmall peas and beans and starts.jpgsmall beans and cucumbers.jpgsmall rabbit manure potting soil.jpg

i sent the link to members of my family early this am and got a few helpful suggestions (my daughter works as an editor for a publishing house) so all in all, I am "making lemonade" out of this opportunity :)

I plan to take some more photos of my beautiful 60+ tree orchard to add to the ad later
Any constructive suggestions as gratefully welcome.

FWIW, you're banging your head against a wall. There's much better equipment to take down walls, although in this case it's hard to get a bulldozer in there.

If you were to be a touch more delicate about the edibility of the rabbits and tout them as 'pets plus garden helpers' or just 'garden helpers' instead of 'dinner & manure' then your post probably wouldn't be tagged as quickly. Craig's List doesn't allow ANY PET POSTs, so you could also be getting tagged for selling a pet, let alone an edible pet. As a cuddly producer of organic manure, the post wouldn't get tagged as quickly.

Post in the 'Farm & Garden' section (which I think you're already doing) and go for the 'cuddly livestock' or even better the 'garden bunny buddy' option. I always call them 'bunnies' instead of 'rabbits'. They're 'sweet livestock' that will produce amazing manure for your 'organic' garden. You can hint at edibility with something along the lines of 'as a dual-purpose breed they have a cobby stocky body' and then leave the rest of their edibility portion alone.

That's the general public version, once you get to the personal level with a buyer, you can mention they're a 'meat breed' and then see if the buyer recoils in horror. I have English angoras, so folks don't usually eat them, partly because of the cost, partly because they're buying them for the wool and once you've eaten them, no more wool. Also, by the time they're fully adult, they're not that tender anymore. They put too much effort into growing wool to grow as quickly as a true meat breed. When folks ask me if I ever eat the rabbits, the standard answer is 'I don't since I want the wool, but you can if you want to'. The other standard option is "nah, I can sell one rabbit and buy two lobsters". Somehow nobody cares if you eat the lobsters.

The other thing about touting your rabbits as a meat breed, is that at $30 and $70, they're too expensive to eat so the folks looking for dinners aren't going to be contacting you for rabbits. They're breed stock for more dinners, but that's several steps away from dinner and a lot of folks want everything prepackaged.

Here's the post, I'll see if it can be edited somewhat, although for folks who have already flagged it, you may want to start over even with different pictures. But here's the wording as I'd possibly do it:

FOOD SECURITY & JOY!
If you want to have an AMAZING garden, I can share my method & my JOY in how I have done that.

Frequently, gardeners hate bunnies since they like to eat a lot of the same tasty vegetables we do. However, a garden bunny buddies can produce some of the most amazing organic fertilizer you can imagine. I use this INSTANT MANURE to fill my prolific garden beds with because the results are AMAZING!

These adorable garden bunny buddies are available in a beautiful array of colors all the way from white to black, as well as spotted, striped, multi-colored, harlequined & magpied. As a Rex, they have a lovely plush fur which is very soothing to hardworking gardening hands after weeding the garden. Your new garden buddy will help you with disposing of the weeds, quickly turning them into amazing fertilizer. Win - win! No more weeds and wonderful fertilizer!

I have a variety of ages and both genders available now. They come with a care sheet and there is a safe pickup protocol so no worries when picking up your new garden buddy. Please let me know what your goals & interests are and I will get back to you with pictures and information, so that you too can have this wonderful life.

The mommas are $70.00
The pappas are $30.00

If you'd like advice on setting up a rabbitry to produce more of these fuzzy buddies yourself, just ask!

CL is an online general public sort of place, so you'll be dealing with all sorts of different folks. I used to sell new hatched chicks and had a 'rooster return' policy. I wouldn't sort the chicks by gender since then I'd end up with all the roosters. The chicks were sold for $5 and and if it later crowed and they didn't want a rooster, they could bring it back and I'd either refund their money or give them another chick if there were any available at the time. Usually some dim bulb would ask what I did with the roosters and the usual answer is 'chicken soup cures crowing'. Which would sometimes get the reply of 'oh, I didn't know it could do that'. Some of them would figure it out and one of them was upset "you don't need to kill them! You can buy chicken at the grocery store!". The other fun folks would ask me what rooster tastes like.

So, you're dealing with a pretty severe level of ignorance anymore.

Go waaaaaay undercover with your stock selling, the ones who want meat will buy and never even mention the word meat.

Using the phrase "Once considered a dual purpose..." or "In other times used for meat production...." puts the meat aspect well into the past but will be spotted by the people wanting to raise meat for the family.

Cuddly pets, bunnies, fuzzy babies, forever homes, cuddle bunnies, fuzz it up with all the pink clouds of fantasy land you can stuff into your ads.

It is fun to play with words but at the end of the day you want to sell rabbits and make your breeding stock pay for themselves so not getting your adds flagged is the first step.

Creativity wins the day, and being clear in a backhand way, brings smiles and potential sales. Don't be too clever or people won't see your ads. But well-written cleverness will have people coming out... I know I would come take a look. :)

My post for “Pedigreed Rex Bunnies” has been flagged now more times than I can count! It’s really frustrating. Why do these people have to ruin our lives???

As I live in a part of the country often labeled as

Left coast
crunchy
surfers
blond
gourmets of the "In-N-Out" variety
and CHILL

Well, I will own the crunchy, and am complaining about the NON-CHILL breed of people who seem to scan the CL ads so they can flag and remove ANY mention of "rabbits" because they somehow believe that their opposition to eating, raising, having, talking about, or offering healthy meat is immoral, or at least unacceptable, to them and thus, by their definition, to EVERYONE.

So this morning, I had fun recreating My Standard Rex Rabbit ad and posting the following (without mentioning the word RABBIT anywhere):

FOOD SECURITY & JOY!
If you want to have an AMAZING garden, and delicious, easy to raise meat. I can share my method & my JOY in how I have done that.
I will not be mentioning the name of the creature that provides the INSTANT MANURE that I fill my prolific garden beds with because the NAME if their FAMILY seems to trigger an immediate reaction of intolerance and righteousness from certain self-appointed CL police. They seem unable to resist flagging my post & having it removed, even though, what I am offering is in the category of “permitted livestock” and is humanely raised and lovingly cared for.
The dictionary definition of this amazing food security magician is
a soft-furred, large-eared burrowing mammals in the order Lagomorpha, having a divided upper lip and long hind legs.
The ones that I have available come in a beautiful array of colors all the way from white to black, as well as spotted, striped, multi-colored, harlequined & magpied.
I have a variety of ages and both genders available now.
For those of you able to see through this and interested in seeing pictures and receiving the care sheet and safe pickup protocol that I have available, please let me know what your goals & interests are and I will get back to you with pictures and information, so that you too can have this wonderful life.
Oh, and BTW, these permitted livestock are known as THE KING of their particular family, in LATIN:)
The potential mommas are $70.00
The potential pappas are $30.00
View attachment 24029View attachment 24032View attachment 24033View attachment 24030View attachment 24034

i sent the link to members of my family early this am and got a few helpful suggestions (my daughter works as an editor for a publishing house) so all in all, I am "making lemonade" out of this opportunity :)

I plan to take some more photos of my beautiful 60+ tree orchard to add to the ad later
Any constructive suggestions as gratefully welcome.
If you're posting in the Pets section, try farm and garden section, I had a PETA lady attack me from 4 hour drive away, threatened CPS on my family as well as animal control and to hunt me down personally and take every single animal I owned away since I was "cruel" for even breeding :c

The ad seems a little heated, doing something simple such as "healthy meat" or just saying its rabbits if you're selling them live will definitely help, I put mine down as just bunnies, if they're pedigree for 4h or show I will specify that tho c:

Sometimes people still take it down, try Hoobly! If people keep flagging the ads, you risk crazy people on your butt but say that if it keeps getting flagged, they'll just end up in a soup pot since they cant be rehomed
Hope that helps!

My post for “Pedigreed Rex Bunnies” has been flagged now more times than I can count! It’s really frustrating. Why do these people have to ruin our lives?
It's just too easy.
It kinda helps to understand how things like the Holocaust could happen. There are people like that, snitching, framing, accusing because of what they want to believe, that sick craving to feel superior. I just hope that this is a safety valve and keeps enough people from focusing on worse ideologies.

Okay I might have some of the best insight on this as someone in a community where CL is THE way to post things and I have successfully gone around the rules themselves np.

Step 1) Drop all the flowery talk. It only encourages these types to get more attached and sentimental about your rabbits. You do NOT want that. Using "papas" and "mamas" makes them think about Peter rabbit style imagery.

Step 2) Don't mention meat. Anyone looking for rabbit meat isn't stupid; they know what breeds to look for already and if they're not picky they're already just going to be looking for "rabbit" and if the seller gives off pet-breeder-vibes then they avoid it.

Step 3) SIMPLIFY. Breed, Genders, DOB, pictures, and Prices. Buyers are there because they already know what they're looking for(rabbits). Your rabbits aren't a mystery new brand of detergent that people need told what their purpose is.

Step 4) Create a free webpage with greater details that emphatically talks your buns up. Have a way to reach you on the website (a form they can fill out that can email you without giving out your email) Link the website in your post "For more details go here". Interested buyers maybe unable to contact you right away but if they get on your page before your ad is pulled they can still reach you later!

MAJOR NOTES:
If you get flagged for something enough times Craigslist itself will autoflag your stuff without telling you it's them doing it (usually starts happening after takedown #2). This seems to be a fairly long period of about a month from the time of your last real flag and it's only things that the AI sees as similar.

Things are only flagged for removal if your Flag to Viewership ratio is really bad (more people flagging versus viewing) so post your ad at a time that your Craigslist is most active (for me this is Friday evening to Saturday afternoon) as more people will be shopping then and looking in earnest versus just to ruin your day. Have friends look at your ad and refresh on occasion.

In case you guys want to know what my post says here it is. If you have suggestions or comments feel free to type away!
———————————————————
We have 14 PEDIGREED REX RABBIT KITS AVAILABLE NOW FOR 40$ EACH. They are super playfull, And they love human interaction. They are also amazing garden companions since they can eat most weeds, and their manure is FANTASTIC for your palnts! And not to mention they are so soft that you'll just want to sit and pet them all day long! Available varieties Castor, Red, Fawn. Contact us if interested, please provide your phone number,Thank You!

In case you guys want to know what my post says here it is. If you have suggestions or comments feel free to type away!
———————————————————
We have 14 PEDIGREED REX RABBIT KITS AVAILABLE NOW FOR 40$ EACH. They are super playfull, And they love human interaction. They are also amazing garden companions since they can eat most weeds, and their manure is FANTASTIC for your palnts! And not to mention they are so soft that you'll just want to sit and pet them all day long! Available varieties Castor, Red, Fawn. Contact us if interested, please provide your phone number,Thank You!
Section: for sale > farm+garden
Title: Pedigree Rex Rabbits
Price: $40
Post description:
Pedigree Rex Rabbits born [DOB here] $40ea
[List each one here as color and gender if sexed, if unsexed then just "14 Available in Castor, Red, and Fawn"]

When contacting us please provide your phone number, Thank You!

((Attach at least one clear photo of each bun in good lighting, make sure to put a number/note the buns tat on each picture for each bunny so someone can go "Can I get bunny [#]?", Pictures are more important than anything else. Also Specify if these are Mini or Standard Rex, too))

Last edited:
Perfect! Pictures like that are great. :) Good lighting, nice clean backdrop, not a cage in sight.

Also mention with colors your solids vs. your brokens available, just to be a bit more specific with what you have (and edit every time a bunny has sold to keep a running inventory list that is accurate).

Examples:

(Sexed)
- Broken Red Buck
- Solid Fawn Buck
- Broken Red Doe
(Unsexed)
2 × Broken Red
1 × Solid Fawn

If that makes sense?

Latest posts

Back