Risk vs reward

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am hopeing my doe is pregnant after breeding her 7 days ago. She seems sort of in a funk in her cage so to get some excercise and burn some steam I put her in my newest cage for an hour or so that's 7ft long to run around.
The thing is she avoids me so much and stresses when I grab her to swap pens is the reward of her play time worth the possible risk and stress to the hopefully pregnant doe?

P.S. If she has kits I will rearrange things so she has extra space for the extra kits. As of now she has a 24" ceiling, 24" depth, by 36" wide with a hide taking up 10" in the corner.

She loves the play pen but just gets so stressed while I attempt to catch her.

Can that stress cause damage if she is pregnant and I do it 2x a week?

Thanks!

She should become accustomed to it after awhile, although some rabbits are more nervous than others. Temperament is something you can select for. Breed the friendly offspring to friendly offspring and eventually you'll end up with friendly rabbits. Although, as a meat breed, that may make it harder to turn them into dinners.

Last week I had two does to decide between. Both in similar size, color, coat quality and conformation. Massive differences in temperament, though. One doe was up in front and friendly, the other one rarely left the corner of the hutch. Since we keep a doe herd instead of individual spaces, the shy doe would do much better as a pet where she would be the only rabbit and not have to compete for food so she's the one who went.

hotzcatz":t1dsvj5f said:
She should become accustomed to it after awhile, although some rabbits are more nervous than others...

Yeah I had a choice of 3 rabbits and this was the only black one so I grabbed her. Good point wasn't sure if I should wait till after she hopefully has kits but then again if I don't move her in late stage of pregnancy she should be good I think.

I definitely will consider that when I choose kits to keep. Even for simple maintenance like nail clippings I don't want a spastic rabbit ;)
Thanks!

Back