Buck won’t “fall over” during mating?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canlay

Reaction score
Hi all! I started breeding rabbits earlier this year, I have a New Zealand blue buck (Mr Blue), a Californian doe (Sesame) and a Harlequin doe (Poppy). I’ve already had a few litters this year with both females, but recently I’ve tried pairing Poppy to Mr Blue and he hasn’t been doing the “falling over” part when mating with her, which I understand to be how you tell the male has succeeded. He just humps her for a bit and nothing happens :/ They are both receptive to mating and healthy, so I’m not sure why this is happening. He had a successful litter with her that was born a couple weeks ago, so idk what is happening this time around. It is currently early winter where I live and around 25-40 degrees on any given day. Mr Blue is around 2 years old and Poppy was born in may 2019 so is a little less that 2. I bought some vitamin drops to give to the male to see if that helps, but does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks!

michaels4gardens":214sfyd5 said:
is he overweight ??
When we took him to thr vet a couple of months ago, they said he was at a good weight but he could have gained since then. I don’t have a big enough scale, but I will try cutting back his grain and see if that helps.

Canlay":1hnn8hhv said:
michaels4gardens":1hnn8hhv said:
is he overweight ??
When we took him to thr vet a couple of months ago, they said he was at a good weight but he could have gained since then. I don’t have a big enough scale, but I will try cutting back his grain and see if that helps.
If he is not overweight don't cut his feed..
Feel his topline, [IE: run your hand along his spine using about a pound of pressure,
stroking from front to back..
If you can feel his spine tops poking up easily, he is "probably" not overweight.
If his "topline" feels smooth, he is overweight.
Another thing that helps "tired/lazy" bucks- is exercise , if he is in a cage it is especially
important to provide a shelf for him to jump up on- or provide "play area" time.
good luck...

Bunnies seem less interested in breeding in the late fall/ early winter. Even around here where we don't really have seasons. If the late summer temperatures were over 83 degrees, bucks can also become temporarily heat sterile. Not sure if that affects their enthusiasm for breeding or not.

Try different times of the day. Bunnies are up and about in the mornings and evenings, so breeding during those times may result in more activity.

When we have a non-interested buck, I'll let a doe visit the buck next door. Sometimes another buck getting a doe will get the first buck anxious for his own.

There are different reactions to mating, some of our bucks have been known to yodel while falling off. One screamed loudly which was alarming but he seemed okay afterwards.

Iv had it when a buck hasn’t fallen off twice with the same buck.
I presumed she didn’t get pregnant but she was. Iv had it happen twice with the same buck.
No fall off but still had babies.

We had a problem with Reddy not being ready. He got a diet n figured it out next time

Back